Author Topic: Power Receiver Board from pixels  (Read 414 times)

Offline bucknut

• Kudos: 0
Power Receiver Board from pixels
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
Is it possible to power the receiver board from the pixels rather than running a line directly from the PSU?  I'd like to power inject mid string only and use that to power the receiver board if possible....?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
Re: Power Receiver Board from pixels
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:26:11 AM »
Is it possible to power the receiver board from the pixels rather than running a line directly from the PSU?  I'd like to power inject mid string only and use that to power the receiver board if possible....?
Are you asking if you could take the end of a string and plug the V- and V+ into the receiver?  That sounds like a bad idea for a whole bunch of reasons.  You can run a line direct to the receiver from a distant power supply.  I have done that before using 12awg wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bucknut

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
The reason I ask is that I saw a post on another forum but don't understand if the power would just flow through the pixel output in reverse or not. The other post is

"Haven't tried this myself, but it should work. The receiver board does need power. But you should be able to power it from the pixel string. Power isn't directional. It goes both ways down the wire. If the pixel string is powered from somewhere downstring, just connect all 3 wires to the receiver and that would backfeed power into the receiver board. It should power up and work fine. 

From the sounds of that it wouldn't be necessary to power the board itself but instead power the pixel string and allow it to power the board. I was just curious if that was actually possible. I don't have a receiver board in hand yet so I can't test it myself.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:18 AM »
Based on the fact you can power the main F16 board by putting power into one of the outputs for initial setup, I would think it's possible.  I wouldn't do it unless that was the only string I was going to plug into the receiver board because more strings would be more power draw on the pixel wires which are not huge to begin with.  At that point I would still rather use a 50-75watt power supply with the board. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk