Author Topic: First 2018 BBB image....  (Read 519 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 25
First 2018 BBB image....
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

I uploaded a new image for some testing.   The main things that are different:

1) Updated to the 4.14 kernel (from 4.4).   This is the latest kernel   

2) Moved over to the BBB-Updates branch which is where I'm trying to get things prepared to move to master.   

3) New wireless driver - I added a driver for rtl8812 based cards.   SOME of the 5ghz usb adapters (not all) use this chipset.   I'm experimenting with this to see if 5ghz is an option for those with crowded 2.4ghz areas.   Some 5ghz adapters use the rtl8814 chipset which this driver doesn't support yet.  Pretty confusing.   :(

4) Added dependencies that are needed by some fpp plugins, namely sqlite, zip/unzip, etc...

Basically, nothing major, but trying to cleanup a few things to prepare for merging stuff together with master and keeping in sync going forward.
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 86
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: First 2018 BBB image....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
First attempts (about 4 times) to install from that image have failed. Went back to PocketScroller on BBG eMMC.
Will try again after someone reports they were successful.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
First attempts (about 4 times) to install from that image have failed. Went back to PocketScroller on BBG eMMC.

Does the image boot up from the SD card?   Which "install" option are you attempting?    I've been testing the btrfs option fairly extensively, but admit haven't tried the other option yet.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:27:24 PM »

Does the image boot up from the SD card?   Which "install" option are you attempting?    I've been testing the btrfs option fairly extensively, but admit haven't tried the other option yet.
I am powering from a USB connector so that I get a 192.168.7.2 connection. On first attempt, I put the newly imaged uSD card in and just connected. Lots of blue LED flashing but never (5 minutes) got the connection from a boot. Power down with S3. This time I held the S2 button while connecting. Four blue leds as expected, release S2 and let it go for 5 minutes. Nothing. Suspecting a bad image, I reformatted the uSD and reimaged. Did both cycles as above. No boot.

Grabbed my prior uSD image (pocketbeagle) and used it. It did boot first try. Accessed via 192.168.7.2. Reinstalled to eMmc. After it shutdown, I put my old uSD settings in, re-elected in FPP Settings and now back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
Tried again, this time with an Ethernet cable attached.

It appears that the 192.168.7.2 (USB) connection I expected to see is not functional.
I got an Ethernet connection and then could get to FPP Settings Advanced to flash the new image to eMMC

Am I correct that the USB interface is not functioning on this latest image? While I liked that feature, it isn't necessary, just convenient.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
Tried again, this time with an Ethernet cable attached.

It appears that the 192.168.7.2 (USB) connection I expected to see is not functional.
I got an Ethernet connection and then could get to FPP Settings Advanced to flash the new image to eMMC

Am I correct that the USB interface is not functioning on this latest image? While I liked that feature, it isn't necessary, just convenient.

Well, the 192.168.6.2 interface is working fine.      Argh... Not sure how to even debug this.   I don't have a native windows machine to even try it.  :(

If I run "ifconfig -a", I see that usb1 is up with 192.168.6.2 so it LOOKS like it's up and running. 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »
I am getting the "USB connection" sound from Windows that had always indicated 192.168.7.2 was established.
But, no connection exists. I tried the Linux address, too (192.168.6.2). Nothing.

But, I am booted and running, just not successful yet getting installed to eMMC. Running from the uSD card for now.

I'll keep banging on it.

Ok, flash to eMMC worked if I used the S2 button. Hadn't always needed that.
It had trouble with my old uSD card for FPP Data Storage. I reformatted to blank and it seems to like it now.

All seems well now except no USB connect to Windows. Windows beeps correctly but  is throwing up a "USB device not recognised" error and "Device Descriptor Request Failed" message in the device manager.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:55:38 PM by JonB256 »

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
Jon,

Can you login to the BBB, cd to /opt/scripts, and run "sudo git pull".  Then reboot and see if that helps?   They pushed a commit yesterday labelled "Fix kernel 4.14 kernel RNDIS class" which implies something related to this problem.   

If that does fix it, I'll make sure the image grabs that.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Actually, I just stuck up a new image that I believe fixes the Windows issue.   Please give it a try.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
I did the "sudo git pull" update and, after a reboot, I again could connect via USB at 192.168.7.2 (Windows 10)

I've downloaded the new image and will try that next.

Ok - installed new image (2018-01-18). It also works on USB at 192.168.7.2.  I find that very useful.

And - on the eMMC flash, I did try the BTRFS format of the root. Seemed to take a LOT longer to flash but the available Root space is now 2.26GB (66% free)  Will that possibly help with the kernel memory problem I may have been having earlier?

update - still seems "sluggish" compared to prior BBB installs. I think I'll reinstall this image without the BTRFS on another BBB and compare.

Dan, are there any specific testing or setups I can do on these two BBBs with the new image?
Specifically anything that might affect the BTRFS boot area?  They are both sitting here doing nothing at the moment. :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:57:16 AM by JonB256 »