Built in Network switch

Author Topic: Built in Network switch  (Read 595 times)

Offline blackramair

• Kudos: 0
Built in Network switch
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
So I have a question concerning the network switch built into the F16V3.  I know you can use the second RJ45 jack to daisy chain another controller. My question is can you run the second ethernet port to an external network switch to then control several other controllers that don't daisy chain?  All the controllers would be in unicast. My old alphapix controllers only accept ethernet in and I want to move them to the neighbors yard and control his yard. My thought was to ethernet to my falcon then out to a switch located in the enclosure with the first alphapix. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:11:20 PM by blackramair »

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
Re: Built in Network switch
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
Yes, you can.  Just keep in mind the switch int he F16v3 is only 100Mbps not gigabit.

Offline blackramair

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
Thank you for the answer.  I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure.  Thinking now it may just be better to add a second Pi on my wifi network in master/slave combo with eth0 on second Pi to network switch then on to the alphapix in the neighbors yard.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
One thing to keep in mind, and to look up for yourself, is that David has stated that this ethernet switch is not really for multiple connections. 

My experience with it is it came in handy when a long cable was damaged to one of my props and I had to double up the feed from one F16V3 to a F4V3.  Did it to get the show back up in a hurry a few weeks into the season, ended up leaving it there. 

I'm not sure what the actual throughput of the switch is, so you should send David a note.

Another use of it was to plug into the network and check all the controllers, etc.  Here again, it worked great.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline C_Nichol

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »
I realize this is a really old thread, but I'm new and playing catch up... What if you just put the network switch before any of the controllers instead of controller then switch then more controllers?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
Whatever floats your boat, many ways to do all this.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5