Newbie - Channel output method?

Author Topic: Newbie - Channel output method?  (Read 258 times)

Offline risenbar

• Kudos: 0
Newbie - Channel output method?
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
New to the Forum - I have a Newbie question, maybe answered elsewhere but I have not found.

I am going to start using FPP this year (2nd year) to run P10 panels (BBB Octoscroller).  After reading the FPP manual I am interested in using it as an overall show player. Most of my display is run off of arduino controllers.  These work well for my neopixels and relay driven strings.  Here's what I am trying to accomplish:

The P10 panels will be on 18 universes channels 1-9216 (unicast). I have an 8 channel relay box I built last year which uses a arduino to drive the relays. I would like to drive the relay box directly from the output from FPP. Say on channels 9217-9224 - USB.

Question.

When FPP sends the data out to the controllers, does it send everything to all controllers or only the data for the channels configured for that controller?
I know multicast sends to all but I will be configuring specific ports for each controller.
I am pretty good with arduino code and if I can determine what comes across the serial line I can write the code to parse out the individual channel data.  This information would help me determine a direction to begin my programming.

Thank you in advance.

Roger

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: Newbie - Channel output method?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
Each Channel Output only gets the channels that are configured to go out that output.  They also can be anywhere in the range, so you can configure channels 9217-9224 to go out the USB port to your Arduino and the Arduino will see that as local channels 1-8.  The Arduino will only get 8 channels worth of data.  On the FPP Channel Output, you would set the Start Channel as 9217 and the Channel Count as 8.
-
Chris

Offline risenbar

• Kudos: 0
Re: Newbie - Channel output method?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
Thank you, that is just what I needed. Time to set it up and start coding.