Author Topic: master-v1.x on FPP v1.8 SD images, also FPP v1.11 & v2.0 timelines & ToDo lists  (Read 537 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 179
This is a heads up that we have merged Dan's BBB branch back to master-v1.x now. This may bring along with it some breakage on FPP v1.8 SD images for the Pi.  For now, if you are running a Pi, you should stick with the v1.10 released branch unless you want to help with testing.

The plan going forward is to create a new Raspbian Stretch based SD image for the Pi and then release a set of FPP v1.11 SD images for the Pi and BBB, both running Stretch.  That set of SD images will also be the basis for the FPP v2.0 SD images.  This will let us burn-in the SD images and also possibly give users an upgrade path from FPP v1.11 to v2.0 via the UI, including the ability to switch back and forth between v1.11 and v2.0 via the developer.php page.

FPP v1.11 ToDo items are being tracked in github at https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/projects/3  The major change in FPP v1.11 will be the new SD image for Pi users, and there will be no upgrade button in the v1.10 UI to uprade to v1.11.  Upgrading to v1.11 will require installing the new SD image.  The new image will boot right into the OS, it will not use the NOOBS installer, so there will be no 'installation' on the Pi anymore.

FPP v2.0 ToDo items are being tracked in github at https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/projects/1   The list of features in the v2.0 tickets is not set in stone, but the tickets do cover the major features being worked on for FPP v2.0.  The v2.0 ToDo list so far has been largely driven by the results of the FPP User Survey.  Once the survey closes this weekend, I'll work on compiling the results and posting a new thread so that users can see the info.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:33:25 PM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 25

Also note:  all the BB changes are now on master as well.   Thus, we can start combining some of the virtual string stuff and other updates.

Dan Kulp

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
Also note:  all the BB changes are now on master as well.   Thus, we can start combining some of the virtual string stuff and other updates.

Great.  Sorry if I made that merge harder with the recent E1.31 changes in master to separate out the input/output configs.  I will pull in the updates tonight and take a look at hooking up the brightness/gamma in the virtual strings code based on your PixelString enhancements.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 12
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

I believe it was 1.10 (or maybe sooner) that included the undocumented Virtual "Display" (a special kind of virtual matrix with channels mapped to match the xLights preview window).  I suspect this will be carried forward into 2.x which is great, but to be generally usable it needs the xLights enhancement to export the whole house preview mappings.  Any chance we are going to see that make it into an xLights release?
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
I have it on my ToDo list to update the xlights patch that creates the Virtual Display config file so I can get it committed to the xlights repo.  I would like to get this in xlights before FPP v2.0 and I think I have a ticket for this in github already.

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 0
The thread title mentions timelines, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a timeline.  I hate to sound like a kid in the backseat, but I'm itching to have a good reference stretch image to start playing with some of the new stuff.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
The thread title mentions timelines, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a timeline.  I hate to sound like a kid in the backseat, but I'm itching to have a good reference stretch image to start playing with some of the new stuff.

Sorry, I must have posted that in another thread since I was editing two at the same time.  My goal is to have v2.0 out by early Summer, so late-May or June timeframe.  I want to have it released before the Expo this year.

For the Stretch image, I want to get a test version out in the next couple weeks.  I finally figured out what the issue was with the http library I had been using and now have the updated version installed on my dev system and on Pi's running Stretch, so I am one step closer to having a Pi Stretch image available for testing.

Offline n19bmw

• Kudos: 0
This is a heads up that we have merged Dan's BBB branch back to master-v1.x now. This may bring along with it some breakage on FPP v1.8 SD images for the Pi.  For now, if you are running a Pi, you should stick with the v1.10 released branch unless you want to help with testing.

The plan going forward is to create a new Raspbian Stretch based SD image for the Pi and then release a set of FPP v1.11 SD images for the Pi and BBB, both running Stretch.  That set of SD images will also be the basis for the FPP v2.0 SD images.  This will let us burn-in the SD images and also possibly give users an upgrade path from FPP v1.11 to v2.0 via the UI, including the ability to switch back and forth between v1.11 and v2.0 via the developer.php page.

Couldnt get this Link to work, Is there a new project, or did you roll that into 2.0 already.
FPP v1.11 ToDo items are being tracked in github at https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/projects/3  The major change in FPP v1.11 will be the new SD image for Pi users, and there will be no upgrade button in the v1.10 UI to uprade to v1.11.  Upgrading to v1.11 will require installing the new SD image.  The new image will boot right into the OS, it will not use the NOOBS installer, so there will be no 'installation' on the Pi anymore.

FPP v2.0 ToDo items are being tracked in github at https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/projects/1   The list of features in the v2.0 tickets is not set in stone, but the tickets do cover the major features being worked on for FPP v2.0.  The v2.0 ToDo list so far has been largely driven by the results of the FPP User Survey.  Once the survey closes this weekend, I'll work on compiling the results and posting a new thread so that users can see the info.