Author Topic: Show of interest: 6 Ch Distribution boards  (Read 856 times)

Offline Fanatic

• Kudos: 0
Show of interest: 6 Ch Distribution boards
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »
Hello everyone,
2018 will be my first year sequencing lights. I have a F16v3 that I received for Christmas to get me started. Now I'm trying to come up with the funds to purchase lights. I have a CNC router and a CNC mini mill for pcb prototyping. I designed and built a few distribution boards that I think turned out pretty good. Just seeing if anyone would be interested in helping out a fellow blinky flashy enthusiasts to get his display up and going by purchasing a disto board or 10.  ;D
The boards are made with 3oz double sided pcb which means they can handle quite a bit of current with minimal voltage drop. Double sided only because that is what I have on hand right now. The top copper is isolated and not used. I designed the pcb for through hole components for easy soldering. There is a 3mm blown fuse indicator that actually sits below the fuse. The tactile switch on the end checks the fuses. The led is bright enough to illuminate the fuse above it and see which one is blown. If you want the leds on all the time, a solder bridge across the switch to ground could accomplish this easily.
The board measures 2.45" by 1.1".
The fuse terminals are very strong and can handle 30A. The input terminal can handle 10 awg wire and 30A. The output terminals can handle 16 awg wire and 10A.
If the interest is there, I can give multiple options as far as board only, full kit, and possibly assembled, but this one may not be an option for me as I am a full time employee, full time dad, and full time student trying to get my bachelors degree.
Pricing would be a couple of bucks for a bare board and close to $10 to $12 for a kit. I would really have to solidify this price with the amount of interest I get.
Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism very welcome.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:01:25 PM by Fanatic »

Offline arw01

Re: Show of interest: 6 Ch Distribution boards
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:18:22 PM »
Nice small form factor there, what size wires into the distribution terminals themselves?

Offline Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:38:18 AM »
Nice small form factor there, what size wires into the distribution terminals themselves?
That's what I was going for, I know space is limited in some boxes. This one is actually version 2. The first was larger and more spread out.
They are 16 awg output terminals.
Fanatic

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
hmm, I bought 14 gauge wire for my PI runs mostly for the voltage drop.  What size ferrel would fit in there suppose?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:29:47 PM »
I have a unique question. How much cheaper would it be for a 2-4 output version?  I have no clue what fuse holders or the screw terminals are called or cost.  I find that I will use 1-2 of the 6 ports I have on my current distro boards so would love to have a postage stamp size 2 port version.  I don't do much injection but always put these in boxes because no matter how much I test I seem to always need to inject okce I get them outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dave N

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:12:24 AM »
Interested.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »
I would be interested in a few of the bare boards.

Offline Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
hmm, I bought 14 gauge wire for my PI runs mostly for the voltage drop.  What size ferrel would fit in there suppose?

I was wondering the percentage of people that use 14 over 16 awg wire. I know I have some 16awg stranded speaker wire and it is a tight fit. I can ferrule a wire and see what will fit. My guess is 16awg ferruled is the max.
I have a unique question. How much cheaper would it be for a 2-4 output version?  I have no clue what fuse holders or the screw terminals are called or cost.  I find that I will use 1-2 of the 6 ports I have on my current distro boards so would love to have a postage stamp size 2 port version.  I don't do much injection but always put these in boxes because no matter how much I test I seem to always need to inject okce I get them outside.

Pm replied
Interested.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would be interested in a few of the bare boards.

If you don't mind, please PM me your email address, the board interested in (bare, kit, etc.), and how many you would be interested in so I can compile a list of interested individuals.

Thanks,
Fanatic

Offline Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
I tried to ferrule a 16awg wire and it did not work out so well. My ferrule crimpers make the wire and ferrule rectangle and the terminal is square. So that did not work. I did find some pin terminals at work that would work if the pin was smaller though. They crimp on to 14awg wire and extend out with a round pin. Unfortunately, the pin is .075" in diameter and the terminal is only .06~" across square.
I also looked into the next size up in terminal and that increases the spacing of the pins from 3.5mm to 5mm. Doesn't sound like much, but when you spread that over 6 terminal it extends the board quite a bit. Especially considering the terminal housing is much larger. The board would probably be close to .75" longer. That would defeat my purpose of trying to keep it small.
Fanatic

Offline Fanatic

FS: 6 Ch Distribution boards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
So I have eight of these boards complete if anyone is interested in purchasing them.
$15 each plus $3 shipping per order to the US.
I also have a few bare boards as well.  These boards are single sided PCB with 3oz. copper. The top has '+', '-', resistor, and diode etches.  The input pin spacing will now accept .25", .30", and .375" terminals.
$3 each for bare boards plus $3 shipping per order.  Orders come with the parts list.
Thanks,
James