Author Topic: What Am I Doing Wrong  (Read 286 times)

Offline mmais68569

• Kudos: 0
What Am I Doing Wrong
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
I am having problems setting my IP address on the Pi. I had the addresses set & tried to log into controller could not get in with the ethernet cable connected but was able to connect with wireless. The picture below shows what came up. I rebooted & totally lost both my IP addresses so now I can not connect at all.
What did I do & what do I need to correct the problem? Should I do a complete reinstall & start fresh?
Thanks Mike

Offline brichi

Re: What Am I Doing Wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »
i may be wrong but when i set mine up it was different, your dns should be set manually to 192.168.1.1 and you gateway is 0.1, try 1.1 so 192.168.1.1

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
Your address and gateway are on different subnets.  Since many of us (not including me) are doing everything on one subnet, that is not critical - at least as far as communicating with the Pi from your computer.  However your computer IP and Pi IP MUST be on the same subnet if you don't have routing between them.  Since you entered different subnets for the Pi IP and gateway IP, I suspect you have some networking confusion about how it really should be set.  What is the IP of your computer?  If you don't know, open a command prompt and enter:  ipconfig
Also, as brichi said, you need to enter a valid DNS if you are using static IP.
Jim

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
i may be wrong but when i set mine up it was different, your dns should be set manually to 192.168.1.1 and you gateway is 0.1, try 1.1 so 192.168.1.1
This did not work
Mike

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
Your address and gateway are on different subnets.  Since many of us (not including me) are doing everything on one subnet, that is not critical - at least as far as communicating with the Pi from your computer.  However your computer IP and Pi IP MUST be on the same subnet if you don't have routing between them.  Since you entered different subnets for the Pi IP and gateway IP, I suspect you have some networking confusion about how it really should be set.  What is the IP of your computer?  If you don't know, open a command prompt and enter:  ipconfig
IP of computer is 192.168.0.2
Please make any suggestions to correct problem in plain english as I am an old man with no real knowledge of setting up network.
Mike

Offline brichi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Please make any suggestions to correct problem in plain english as I am an old man with no real knowledge of setting up network.
Mike

so then set the Pi to 192.168.0.100 so you can see it, DNS 192.168.0.1 (you can check your pc's subnet and match it, try a command prompt ifconfig/all to see

Offline brichi

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
Mike

so then set the Pi to 192.168.0.100 so you can see it, DNS 192.168.0.1 (you can check your pc's DNS usually and match it, try a command prompt ifconfig/all to see

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Mike
I changed the addresses clicked update interface & got this message "Save Failed"
Then I unplugged &  plugged back in the pi the Pi so it would reboot & no IP address stated.
I have a monitor connected to my Pi & when it loads it states in Red "Failed (code8)
Looking more like a complete reinstall of FPP
Mike

so then set the Pi to 192.168.0.100 so you can see it, DNS 192.168.0.1 (you can check your pc's subnet and match it, try a command prompt ifconfig/all to see

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
The DNS is 192.168.0.1 Then below it are these numbers
I put the numbers in & will not update & will not reboot. (picture below)
Thanks for all your help
Mike

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
OK spent about an hour doing a complete reinstall. New install found my old wireless address & I was able to log into my program & went to the ethernet tab. typed in 192.168.0.100
                                                                                    255.255.255.0
                                                                                    192.168.0.1
clicked update interface & it did update rebooted the Pi & only found my wireless address of 192.168.0.46. Then went to ethernet tab & tried to ping & nothing. (see picture)
Can not for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong.
Mike
PS if it makes any difference I am using V1.10 maybe should backup to V1.9

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
Are you trying to run wired and wireless on the same network at the same time?  Thats going to give you problems.

Generally speaking, the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces need to be connected to different networks.  If you only have one network then only use 1 interface.  Configure  eth0 (wired) OR wlan0 (wireless) and leave the other one blank
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Are you trying to run wired and wireless on the same network at the same time?  Thats going to give you problems.

Generally speaking, the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces need to be connected to different networks.  If you only have one network then only use 1 interface.  Configure  eth0 (wired) OR wlan0 (wireless) and leave the other one blank
That is what I am trying to do both on the same network
 How do I get rid of the wireless IP that is in the program? I want to use this PI as my Master so I need to have 192.168.0.100 installed.
Mike

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »
Sounds like your wlan0 is set to dhcp.  To disable the wlan0, change it to STATIC and set the IP Address to blank (delete the numbers)

Save and restart.

Since youre not network savvy I would also suggest you initially set your eth0 to DHCP, save and restart.  This is the easiest way to get the wired connection working.  After you get it all working on the wired interface with DHCP then you can change it to a static host address of .100

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
Well everything is set to zero's & saved and both set to DCHP & now I can't even get an IP address. So now What?
Mike

Offline kryptic

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
I am having problems setting my IP address on the Pi. I had the addresses set & tried to log into controller could not get in with the ethernet cable connected but was able to connect with wireless. The picture below shows what came up. I rebooted & totally lost both my IP addresses so now I can not connect at all.
What did I do & what do I need to correct the problem? Should I do a complete reinstall & start fresh?
Thanks Mike
I am really new at the Pi thing to, but you could login to the router the one your trying to connect to and write down your dns server info from that screen you will need those to run that Pi off static I think anyway, what i always do is run non static and when I boot up the pi on ethernet it gives me the IP right on the screen, you may not be running the same OS that I am, but I would reinstall the OS from scratch again and make sure you have your dns server  links to plugin the  dns server info when you re choose static IP then once you have that back live on ethernet again, you can try and go wifi and as long as you are set on static you should be able to plug that ethernet cable in when its powered off and turn it back on and let it boot back up and get on easily. Hope this helped a little im still a total newb ,but I know a little bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk