Author Topic: Just getting started need help  (Read 312 times)

Offline 4rjn

• Kudos: 0
Just getting started need help
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
Hi all I used lor for several years no pixels and I am thinking about going to falcon with xlights. Are there classes anywhere that someone can get lots of questions answered and learn a lot? I am in Northeast Oh and would be willing to drive several hours to get the opportunity to talk with an expert. I recently was put in charge of a drive thru light display so I am overwhelmed and sure could use some patient guidance to make the learning curve easier. I have downloads nutcracker and started to play with it but of course I keep running into lack of knowledge issues and most of the tutorials seem to focus on windows but I am using mac. Thanks Rod

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Re: Just getting started need help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
If you haven't been there yet, check out video.xlights.org and the xlights.org/resources pages.  Lots of good information there.  Some of it is a bit dated, but people are adding new stuff all the time.

On that page, there are links to the facebook group as well as a Zoom meeting link, that is where most of the active people are around.  We have a regularly schedule meeting in the zoom room every Wednesday night at 7 PM eastern (lately with a presenter at 8 PM), where you can come and learn or ask questions.  If you can't make it then, just come into the room any time, and you'll typically find a handful of people that might be able to help you out. 

Doing a drive thru show is a big larger than most have done, but we might not be able to help you with all the details, but can probably get you started.  If you need more detailed help, I would suggest contacting Pixel Pro Displays (pixelprodisplays.com).  The guys there, along with a few others, did much of the work for the Illumination AZ show, and might be able to help you out.  I believe they are based out of the Pittsburg area, so not too far from you.  Keep in mind these guys are running a business, so there may be a cost for the time they spend with you.  But getting the information from someone who has pulled off a large drive thru display, rather than others who just do shows on their house, may very well be worth the cost in the long run. 

Offline 4rjn

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »
awesome that will get me started I did not know any of that so i'm thankful for your help.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
4rjn.
The videos are excellent resources for using the xLights product as well as how a lot of things have been done by some very smart people.

The wiki on each of the forum sites is chocked full of good stuff.

As I said in another post you made, don't hesitate to ask for help here as well. There are many good sources, including some that are already doing what you state you are trying to do.  :)