A thought - could we have a gap between LED panels please?

Author Topic: A thought - could we have a gap between LED panels please?  (Read 372 times)

Offline Barnabybear

• Kudos: 0
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »
When doing your next work through of the LED panels would it be possible to have a gap / missed row or column between panels please. As your software is now able to handle larger numbers of panels than it is physically possible to assemble, waterproof and handle it would be useful to be able to assemble panel modules - e.g. 4x4 and then place them side by side whilst still maintaining the correct aspect ratio even if there was 10 or 20mm between the panels.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:14:50 AM by Barnabybear »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: A thought could we have a gap between LED panels please?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
This is possible, but not in the UI.  I'd have to think about how to add it to the UI.  The backend code allows setting a panel at any physical offset, you can even overlap panels, have non-rectangular matrices, or even have holes in your matrix.
-
Chris

Offline Barnabybear

Re: A thought - could we have a gap between LED panels please?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I know in an ideal world there wouldn't be gaps but physically handling a large quantity of panels becomes difficult at the end of the day if the aspect is correct the brain fills in the gaps. It will be interesting to see if this post gets any comments as to whether this could be useful.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
Re: A thought could we have a gap between LED panels please?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »
Jon Back  already does this,  Just wait, I'm sure he will chime in.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I know in an ideal world there wouldn't be gaps but physically handling a large quantity of panels becomes difficult at the end of the day if the aspect is correct the brain fills in the gaps. It will be interesting to see if this post gets any comments as to whether this could be useful.

What Jim Nealand is referring to about my P10 panels is that I built a pair of identical panels (3x6) and I made them without a visible frame. It is the same concept as having two computer monitors that have no "bezel" or frame around them so that they can be put side by side and you see no gap.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8682.msg80935.html#msg80935

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4894.msg66022.html#msg66022

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4894.msg51888.html#msg51888  (this is pictures of a 3x3 build but same construction)

Offline Barnabybear

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:12:37 AM »

What Jim Nealand is referring to about my P10 panels is that I built a pair of identical panels (3x6) and I made them without a visible frame. It is the same concept as having two computer monitors that have no "bezel" or frame around them so that they can be put side by side and you see no gap.

Hi John, thanks for the post and links. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking about but I can't think of a way that lets the P10's but up to each other. I can get the gap down to 10mm but then at the joint two of the lines are 20mm apart, however if you could drop that line from the display the aspect would be correct.