Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?

Author Topic: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
I should have a new "alpha" image for the BBB later today or tomorrow that I'd LOVE for you to try out if you have some time.  It's based on the master branch so highly experimental, but I'd love feedback. 

I added a DDP protocol

Anyway, hope to have a new image up shortly.   :)

This sounds great.  Standing by to try this out! :)

Link for explanation of DDP for anyone like me that was scratching their head when they read that...
http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:50 AM »

Link for explanation of DDP for anyone like me that was scratching their head when they read that...
http://www.3waylabs.com/ddp/

Just a bit more on this...    With master branch of FPP and the latest xLights code (not released yet, .6), you will be able to use the bridge of FPP without configuring ANY universes anywhere.   In xLights, you would configure a DDP output with however many channels you want sent there.   For example, you could configure it as 100K channels if you want.   In FPP, you would configure the panels exactly like you normally would with whatever start channel matches what you use in xLights.      That's it.   When you turn on Bridge mode in FPP, DPP is automatically enabled and xLights will send the data to FPP.   Each DDP packet includes the channel number so FPP knows what to do with it.   You don't need to configure any universes in FPP at all or map universes to starting channels or anything.    It's straight up starting channel numbers which should match what xLights has.  DDP is also significantly more efficient than e1.31 carrying up to 1410 channels per packet with much lower header overhead.  Thus, less network contention and processing and such.   

Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
I finally got things running last night but it looks bad, i need to play more tonight. I messed with the Visionn software so much just to get my panels going now I'm afraid i messed up refresh rates or something, still makes no sense that the software is reading 8 high vs 16. I had to setup my panels completely backwards in FPP, my arrows face down and i had to make them up in FPP and set the panels backwards from 6-1 vs 1-6 in each row and the image finally showed correctly but very broken up as you can see in the video below.

I have been bs'ing with Ed and i am going to try an unmanaged switch tonight and see if i can get this image to look better, i also need to try and update the Pi, I think i am a version behind. just not sure what else to test, even the effects in Xlights like spirals and fans break up and look pixelated. I am still forced too to use the gigabit adapter off the Pi vs using the CL card right into the gigabit router

https://youtu.be/sXzYb0UqGaU

I'm using on Pi
1.10-27-g259bc38

Offline brichi

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »

so quick update, I got a lot further with a new switch, plugging in the card, pi and laptop to the switch and putting a static on my laptop now allows me to control everything without the need of the USB to Ethernet for now. Im testing on just 2 panels for now but it works, there must be something in the Netgear router that was preventing me from doing that
 Also, on the Vision software a refresh of 120 x 1 i got the green ghosting, if i lowered to 60 x 1 its all gone. Not sure how good that will look though once 56 panels are attached, lol

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Interesting, I did not pay attention to that value on the LedVision software. I'll have to go and look again.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline brichi

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
yes, Thanks to Ebuechner for pointing that out to me, i still have a lot to test and play with but im getting the hang of it.

Offline brichi

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
also, BBB works fine also with a 4 panel test, tomorrow im going to break out the 56 anel screen again and test them all hopefully

Whats the best version to run on BBB with the Colorlight? I have 1.10 on it now but i know there was discussion of a possible alpha soon

Pi i switched to master 1.x branch like suggested

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
Whats the best version to run on BBB with the Colorlight? I have 1.10 on it now but i know there was discussion of a possible alpha soon
Dan posted a master-alpha version for the BBB on his site. I would start there.

Offline brichi

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Dan posted a master-alpha version for the BBB on his site. I would start there.

thank you, found it :)

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »

Cool. Looking forward to hearing how the Colorlight cards handle a p10 matrix of that size.

Offline brichi

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »

Cool. Looking forward to hearing how the Colorlight cards handle a p10 matrix of that size.

this seem right for the alpha? I never know what the numbers should be, lol

FPP Version:v1.x-master-529-g1c7eb823
FPP OS Build:v1.9

Offline brichi

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
So far the new BBB alpha is not working for me right

In FPP i can do a test mode with no issues, all 4 panels set right, unicast address set for 12 universes and so on but once i open XLights and configure it the normal way i am only getting 2 rows out of 32 that are lighting... If i go back and use the Pi, all works fine

I also notice in the status main page of FPP in bridge mode that nothing is showing in the Bytes Transferred area like it used to even if i click live updates

Offline brichi

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
Figured it out, looks like in this release you have to also set the channel inputs to match the universes needed

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
Figured it out, looks like in this release you have to also set the channel inputs to match the universes needed

Well, yes and no... You need to configure the inputs that you want.   You should likely delete the output universes that you don't need.   Inputs and outputs are really two separate things and it was kind of a mistake in the old code to have them be the same.   

Also, do a manual update to get to "v1.x-master-533-gafc02d54".  I just pushed some more changes to report error rates on the e1.31 incoming universes.  If you start seeing issues, I'd be curious if the error rates are high or not.

Offline brichi

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
Sounds good, one issue i noticed right away but i will report back again after the update is in XLights i can run evertything fine but then in LOR i run lets say a text or pinwheel pattern and theres "red" running up the right side and around the pinwheel yet XLights looks perfect.

after the update if its still an issue i will record video and screenshots. With the Pi it all looked fine in X and LOR