Author Topic: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 0
Re: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
the 384 was what fixed it, I had it on 192 being that was "real" amount of pixels from left to right but I see now that I needed the pixel count of the entire panel and then FPP takes care of it all, THANK YOU!!

Great.  One thing to keep in mind is that this is the equivalent of sending 128 universes of E1.31 since the ColorLight protocol uses one packet per LED row.  This is why I need to optimize the ColorLight code to use the same sendmmsg() call that Dan added to the E1.31 Channel Output when he optimized the E1.31 code.  This is where the Linsn receiver actually can be more optimal since it packs the data into large packets, so it can send fewer packets than rows.

ok good to know, so should I lean towards grabbing a Linsn board or hold off and the Colorlight will be optimized to the same or similar packets? I know someone mentioned (may have been you) that the Linsn ones are a little more of a pain being it goes by Mac address and so on

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »

ok good to know, so should I lean towards grabbing a Linsn board or hold off and the Colorlight will be optimized to the same or similar packets? I know someone mentioned (may have been you) that the Linsn ones are a little more of a pain being it goes by Mac address and so on

I would stick with the ColorLight if it is working for you.  The main reason I mentioned that is in case you try to do anything else with the system such as E1.31 or you try running 25ms sequences.

The MAC address issue isnt that much of a pain but it is one more setup step you have to deal with.
-
Chris

Offline brichi

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »

I would stick with the ColorLight if it is working for you.  The main reason I mentioned that is in case you try to do anything else with the system such as E1.31 or you try running 25ms sequences.

The MAC address issue isnt that much of a pain but it is one more setup step you have to deal with.

I am planning on ditching a bunch of my LOR stuff and getting Falcon controllers (F48 and a bunch or receiver cards) running sequences at 20ms, will that be effected? also adding a second screen so I will have 2 Pi's and 2 color lights running 108 panels total

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
If you have a fpp remote with local sequence playback and a usb Gig-E Ethernet adapter dedicated to this and arent trying to use bridge mode over a shared Ethernet adapter, then I think you should be ok.  The main thing is test it yourself.  You are ahead of the game because you are in here asking about this now instead of coming in on December 5th asking how to set it up or why isnt something working correctly, etc..

Offline brichi

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
If you have a fpp remote with local sequence playback and a usb Gig-E Ethernet adapter dedicated to this and arent trying to use bridge mode over a shared Ethernet adapter, then I think you should be ok.  The main thing is test it yourself.  You are ahead of the game because you are in here asking about this now instead of coming in on December 5th asking how to set it up or why isnt something working correctly, etc..

awesome thank you, yes I plan on uploading all the video and FSEQ files to each Pi, gigabit in and USB gigabit out to Colorlight and running FPP in "remote" mode on both screens, not bridge being I learned quick how much that bogs down the network. the rest will be ran to Falcon boards for all the pixels,

Now that im thinking of, whats the best way to run 2 Pi's playing the same FSEQ file, they won't be mirror images, at times the 1 video will play on both but at other parts of songs it will be 2 different videos like a cartoon on 1 and dancing on another. do I upload all videos and FSEQ files to both Pi's and but them both in remote mode and have XSchedule play the schedule in master mode?