Author Topic: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 0
Re: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
Figured it out, looks like in this release you have to also set the channel inputs to match the universes needed

Also, do a manual update to get to "v1.x-master-533-gafc02d54".  I just pushed some more changes to report error rates on the e1.31 incoming universes.  If you start seeing issues, I'd be curious if the error rates are high or not.

any other way to grab 533? I have the BBB right into my home router out to the internet but i keep getting """"[size=78%]Can not access github, unable to pull git updates"""[/size]

Offline brichi

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
reran, all up to date, will test now

Offline brichi

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »
Figured it out, looks like in this release you have to also set the channel inputs to match the universes needed

Well, yes and no... You need to configure the inputs that you want.   You should likely delete the output universes that you don't need.   Inputs and outputs are really two separate things and it was kind of a mistake in the old code to have them be the same.   

Also, do a manual update to get to "v1.x-master-533-gafc02d54".  I just pushed some more changes to report error rates on the e1.31 incoming universes.  If you start seeing issues, I'd be curious if the error rates are high or not.

so running the latest BBB with a colorlight causes a weird line on the outside of all letters if you use white, The Pi does not do this using the same colorlight card. Here is a pic where you can see a blue line hovering around the white letter. Xlights and LOR both have the same results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixy1jerebyg26ph/Photo%20Feb%2013%2C%203%2017%2047%20PM.jpg?dl=0

also, bridge mode from xlights still lags a lot, I am bot sure what else to try. I bought a brand new gigabit switch and static IP'd everything and can run everything fine but the image braks up every few seconds still like you can see in this video, freezing towards bottom at end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvEQm061nJw&feature=youtu.be

if i play it directly from the BBB or Pi it plays fine using the it in remote mode with scheduler triggering the sequence so its definitely in the networking end but i would think a gigabit standalone network could handle this no?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:33:11 PM by brichi »

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 28
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
That image looks like a  "start channel off by one" issue.   

Can you login to the BBB from the command line, cd to /opt/fpp/src, and run "sudo make release" and then restart fppd?   Then re-try the e1.31 bridge stuff.   Captain doesn't like me committing new binaries to the branch so it's possible it's pickup up the older binary.  Doing the above should make sure it's grabbing the new binary with the enhancements.

When running in bridge mode, turn on the live stats on the main page.  I'm curious if there are a bunch of errors or not.

Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
i can try the command line, never did that before but i am starting at channel 1 on everything, theres nothing else hooked up and its all new installs

nothing is showing up when i click "live" and replay the video from xlights. towards the end i get complete row lockups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvEQm061nJw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvEQm061nJw&feature=youtu.be

Offline brichi

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
That image looks like a  "start channel off by one" issue.   

Can you login to the BBB from the command line, cd to /opt/fpp/src, and run "sudo make release" and then restart fppd?   Then re-try the e1.31 bridge stuff.   Captain doesn't like me committing new binaries to the branch so it's possible it's pickup up the older binary.  Doing the above should make sure it's grabbing the new binary with the enhancements.

When running in bridge mode, turn on the live stats on the main page.  I'm curious if there are a bunch of errors or not.

i logged into BBB and ran the command. Now the live results show up and im getting a ton of errors from universe 84-144  up to 22 errors per universe. 1-83 show no errors

the blue shadow line thing is now gone too after running that command

UPDATE: now i ran a video and i get 2 errors per univers on 1-83 and up to 57 errors on 84-144

UPDATE2 - not sure if this helps at all but when i open LOR its flooded with errors on every universe... Here is a video, again not sure if this helps but please let me know what i can do to assist, thanks!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0w7VKWwwRw
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:09:28 PM by brichi »

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »

Is that with the network plugged directly into the BBB or via a USB adapter? 

Offline brichi

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
thats going right into a gigabit switch, no adapters

the Laptop, BBB and Colorlight are all going into a switch

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »

Wait... now I'm confused...  In this case, the colorlight should be completely irrelevant.   The BBB should be connected to the panels via the Octo.   Right?    So it's Laptop -> switch -> on board BBB.   No USB things anywhere.   

I think there is something wrong with your switch or your laptop or something.   With 25ms sequences, I can drive over 200 universes into the the BBB with error rates less than 1%.   

I wouldn't bother testing with LOR until things are working well without LOR.    LOR's e1.31 support is known to be horrible with packets being sent out at very irregular intervals and such.   

Offline brichi

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »

Wait... now I'm confused...  In this case, the colorlight should be completely irrelevant.   The BBB should be connected to the panels via the Octo.   Right?    So it's Laptop -> switch -> on board BBB.   No USB things anywhere.   

I think there is something wrong with your switch or your laptop or something.   With 25ms sequences, I can drive over 200 universes into the the BBB with error rates less than 1%.   

I wouldn't bother testing with LOR until things are working well without LOR.    LOR's e1.31 support is known to be horrible with packets being sent out at very irregular intervals and such.

im not using an octoscroller in this test, the BBB has nothing attached to it except the ethernet cable going to the switch, the panels are being driven by the Colorlight also attached to the switch

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »

im not using an octoscroller in this test, the BBB has nothing attached to it except the ethernet cable going to the switch, the panels are being driven by the Colorlight also attached to the switch

So you basically have a 144 universes of data coming in, being processed, and then going back out on the same network adapter, on a single core processor.   I'm not surprised that's not working. 

I would start off with turning OFF the LED panels output, restarting FPPD process, and just seeing if you can get the 144 universes into the BBB with a reasonable error rate.  (you don't have to have any outputs configured to test if the data can come in)  If you cannot, then there is something wrong with either the laptop or the switch (or cables).   

Offline brichi

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »

So you basically have a 144 universes of data coming in, being processed, and then going back out on the same network adapter, on a single core processor.   I'm not surprised that's not working. 

I would start off with turning OFF the LED panels output, restarting FPPD process, and just seeing if you can get the 144 universes into the BBB with a reasonable error rate.  (you don't have to have any outputs configured to test if the data can come in)  If you cannot, then there is something wrong with either the laptop or the switch (or cables).

ok so what i did this time for ya to test was got the colorlight completely out of the equation and attached the octoscroller

i turned off the panel output, sett the input and put to the address at 144 universes and still from univers 84-144 the error count grows a few errors per second

Offline brichi

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 03:32:34 PM »
so i tried an old macbook i have and got the same results and a different brand new router all on its own, not plugged into my home network and still right at universe 84 the errors continue to climb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2lx0qluchc1vux/Screen%20Shot%202018-02-13%20at%205.29.29%20PM.png?dl=0

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
so i tried an old macbook i have and got the same results and a different brand new router all on its own, not plugged into my home network and still right at universe 84 the errors continue to climb

Are you using unicast or multicast?
-
Chris

Offline brichi

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
Unicast