Author Topic: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch  (Read 629 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 175
Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
I have uploaded a Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch.  The current BBB images released by Dan are already running on Debian Stretch, so this work-in-progress will bring the Pi images up to the new version as well.

This Beta image is running the master-v1.x branch of FPP.  It is not compatible with the v1.10 or prior release branches since they are not setup to run on Stretch.

The current plan is to cut and release FPP v1.11 from the master-v1.x branch sometime in the next month or so.  There are very little changes between master-v1.x and the v1.10 release branch, the main focus is adding support for Raspbian Stretch along with a few bug fixes or features.  This SD image will be the basis for the FPP v2.0 SD image which I would like to release in early Summer.

For those wanting to help test the changes going into FPP for the v2.0 release, you will need to be running either Dan's latest BBB image or this Pi SD image (or the eventual v1.11 release).  Once on one of those images, you will be able to use the developer.php page to switch to the master branch and test the changes going into the master branch for FPP v2.0.

The Pi Beta image is available on my download site at http://fpp.bc2va.org/images/  The current link is at the top of the page: FPP-master-v1.x-Pi-20180213.zip.  If new images are required, I will insert them at the top of the list.  You will need to use Win32DiskImager to write the included .img file to a SD card.  Instructions for this are in the BBB install thread which is linked to from the download page.  The new SD image does not use NOOBS, so there is no installation required on the Pi.  Once you image the SD card using Win32DiskImager, you can put the SD into the Pi and boot it up and FPP will be up and running.  Getting rid of the installer was very high on the list of requested changes in the recent user survey, and we were already headed the direction of eliminating the NOOBS installer, so I'm glad to see that our efforts were in the the right direction.

I have been running a previous build of this image on 3-4 Pi's for the past couple months even as my master during December, so it is stable, but I'm sure there are still a few kinks to work out.  Dan's BBB modifications for Debian Stretch have been merged into both master-v1.x and master branches, so some of the issues I ran into previously should be fixed, but there may be others.  This is part of the reason to release the Beta, so we can find/fix the remaining issues before an official release based on Raspbian Stretch.

Feel free to post issues in this thread.  If something requires it, I may also create a github ticket to track progress on a particular bugfix.
-
Chris

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:17 AM »
So far. So good.

For those installing, first thing you should do after initial boot up is set the data drive in FPP Settings, then the reboot.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
So far. So good.

For those installing, first thing you should do after initial boot up is set the data drive in FPP Settings, then the reboot.

Thanks for mentioning that.  Yes, by default, this image is _not_ mounting the USB stick automatically.  We may change around the storage a little to be closer in line to what Dan has done with the BBB images.  This might include switching to btrfs for the root filesystem which would allow compression to be enabled for the SD card.  I also need to add an update to provide a way to expand the root filesystem on the SD to fill up the SD card.  That doesn't happen by default currently.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
Thanks for mentioning that.  Yes, by default, this image is _not_ mounting the USB stick automatically.  We may change around the storage a little to be closer in line to what Dan has done with the BBB images.  This might include switching to btrfs for the root filesystem which would allow compression to be enabled for the SD card.  I also need to add an update to provide a way to expand the root filesystem on the SD to fill up the SD card.  That doesn't happen by default currently.

I already added that... :)

Do an update on the master-v1.x branch and the button should appear on the advanced settings page.
Dan Kulp

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 0
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Dumb question.  Where are these files?  In several threads on this forum, I hear about all these new / revised / beta versions, but in neither the "Downloads" section of the forum, nor the pinned "latest files" postings are anything being talked about (heck, the "Downloads" section for "Falcon Pi Player Files" or "Falcon FPD Alpha/Beta Files" doesn't have anything newer than 2013).
Jim

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »
Dumb question.  Where are these files?  In several threads on this forum, I hear about all these new / revised / beta versions, but in neither the "Downloads" section of the forum, nor the pinned "latest files" postings are anything being talked about (heck, the "Downloads" section for "Falcon Pi Player Files" or "Falcon FPD Alpha/Beta Files" doesn't have anything newer than 2013).

Well, the location for the Pi is listed in the first post of this thread.    Mine are always at http://dankulp.com/bbb

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »

Well, the location for the Pi is listed in the first post of this thread.    Mine are always at http://dankulp.com/bbb

OK, I missed it buried in the middle of the first post.  But why are the file locations NOT listed in the downloads section of the forum (where people might actually go for (go figure) downloads)?  Even if the files are not in the downloads section, at least there should be links to them there.  Or am I missing something logical?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
But why are the file locations NOT listed in the downloads section of the forum (where people might actually go for (go figure) downloads)?  Even if the files are not in the downloads section, at least there should be links to them there.  Or am I missing something logical?

"BETA"  ;)
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
OK, I missed it buried in the middle of the first post.  But why are the file locations NOT listed in the downloads section of the forum (where people might actually go for (go figure) downloads)?  Even if the files are not in the downloads section, at least there should be links to them there.  Or am I missing something logical?

I bury my links so people have to read to find them. :)

I really need to go in and upload the downloads section.  We don't host the download links for the FPP SD images, we normally put them up on github's release area and people download the files from there.  There are sticky threads at the top of this forum that contain instructions for installing on the PI and BBB and include the latest download links.  We also normally post a sticky thread with each new release and that thread contains the download links.

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
I bury my links so people have to read to find them. :)

OK, I deserved that  ;) .  I did miss it buried in the middle of the post...

I really need to go in and upload the downloads section.  We don't host the download links for the FPP SD images, we normally put them up on github's release area and people download the files from there.  There are sticky threads at the top of this forum that contain instructions for installing on the PI and BBB and include the latest download links.  We also normally post a sticky thread with each new release and that thread contains the download links.

But the stickys are not up to date.  The "latest FPP version points to 1.8, although there is a separate sticky post for 1.9, but for someone just getting into FPP (like me), you're going to see the "Latest version" post and go there (I did).  As for failing to update a website, I think anyone who has a web site has done that!  We all have lots to do.  Heck, I just realized last weekend that my show website still said at the top in big bold colorful letters "The Christmas lights are up and operating" - the show has been down for over six weeks!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
But the stickys are not up to date.  The "latest FPP version points to 1.8, although there is a separate sticky post for 1.9, but for someone just getting into FPP (like me), you're going to see the "Latest version" post and go there (I did).  As for failing to update a website, I think anyone who has a web site has done that!  We all have lots to do.  Heck, I just realized last weekend that my show website still said at the top in big bold colorful letters "The Christmas lights are up and operating" - the show has been down for over six weeks!

The last SD image for the Pi was v1.8. In order to get to v1.9, you had to either download and install v1.8 and upgrade or use Paul's SD image he created for the Pi Zero W.  We don't release a new SD image for every new release, we have upgrade scripts which can upgrade an older SD image and new versions of the FPP code itself are pulled from our github repository.

We need to update the "latest images" post to point to Dan's BBB images, but most of those were for a forked branch which weren't technically a released version (ie, v1.9, etc.).

One of the items that boiled to the top of the list of actions from the user survey was documentation.  I think that includes links to downloads, stick posts, etc., so I plan on working on that some before the v2.0 release mid-year.  I even created a ticket to get docs updated.

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
I have bookmarked both yours and Dan's download files pages for future reference...
Cool on updating the docs.

Now back to the original purpose of the post...

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
Ok, what did I do wrong -  - this BETA boots in 15 seconds or less.....something must be missing.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
Ok, what did I do wrong -  - this BETA boots in 15 seconds or less.....something must be missing.

If you are referring to the Pi image, that sounds about right if you are using a good quality SD card.  There is no installer in this image, so it boots right into the OS.  Going forward, you will no longer have to wait 10, 15, 20 minutes for NOOBS to install Raspbian, because it is already installed.

I am also testing support for using btrfs as the main file system as Dan has tested with the BBB.  This will allow us to turn on file system compression which also could help boot times on slower SDs and it will allow storing more on the SD card if you use the SD for storage.  I have been debating leaving the current non-USB setup as the default on the new image and letting the user choose to put the media and config on a USB stick if they want.

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
I like the last part since Im using FPP in bridge mode only so I have virtually nothing on the USB.  It would be nice not to have it sticking out the end.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk