Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch

Author Topic: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch  (Read 14991 times)

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
Re: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
CaptianMurdoch....this is great work. It was almost hard to believe that everything worked after such a sort boot time....actually shocked me.

I like storage on the uSD for Zero W's, but will be hard to change my habit on the 2 & 3's

Haven't done a lot with this beta yet, but will try to push the limits as I know them.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »
I like the last part since Im using FPP in bridge mode only so I have virtually nothing on the USB.  It would be nice not to have it sticking out the end.

I also have an 'optional for v2.0 release' ticket open to add a way to flip the bit to allow the Pi 3 and Pi 2 v1.2 to boot from USB for those who want to use a USB drive for the OS.  We've had some users inquire about this already.  It would be optional and even if enabled it wouldn't prevent using the SD card for boot, but would allow users to use USB flash, hard drives, or SSD's for boot and storage.
-
Chris

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »
CaptianMurdoch....this is great work. It was almost hard to believe that everything worked after such a sort boot time....actually shocked me.

It's nothing I did really except for using the Raspbian Stretch Lite SD image instead of the NOOBS image to build the FPP SD.  If you don't have to do the install at first boot, then the first boot is as fast as every boot.

I need to watch the boot sometime to see if there is anything else we can turn off, I'll do that when I run through and try to find other packages we can remove from the image to make the download size smaller.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
I am also testing support for using btrfs as the main file system as Dan has tested with the BBB.  This will allow us to turn on file system compression which also could help boot times on slower SDs .

Won't this ALSO minimize or almost eliminate the problems with file corruption due to power loss?   That would be a big plus.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »

Won't this ALSO minimize or almost eliminate the problems with file corruption due to power loss?   That would be a big plus.

Yes and no....   The Pi has a problem in that the /boot partition needs to be FAT.  Thus, there is definitely an issue there.   That said, it's possible that we mount /boot read only (or maybe not mount it at all except if we need to upgrade the stuff on it).   

For the Beaglebones, I'll be keeping /boot as ext4 for now.   In theory, uBoot can boot off of btrfs, but it doesn't seem to be reliable yet, especially if and of the files in /boot end up compressed.   What this DOES mean is that the SD images for the beaglebones will have a different layout than previously.   We used to only have a single big ext4 partition.   We'll be flipping over to a 100MB /boot (ext4) and the rest btrfs.   This will actually bring it closer to the Pi which has the fat /boot and then the rest is root so partition names and such should match.   

Dan Kulp

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

To add to Dan's comments....

Previous FPP SD images for the Pi used the NOOBS installer.  This meant we actually had 2 VFAT partitions.  The first was for NOOBS and the recovery image.  It also contained the initial bootcode.bin file which was loaded by the Pi at power on.  The second VFAT partition was used as the /boot directory for Raspbian and contained the boot config files, kernel, etc..  Both of these were necessary to boot, which meant we had two points of possible VFAT failure.  I'm not sure which of these partitions were experiencing an issue because in the 4+ years I've been working on FPP, I've never had a SD card not boot in a Pi due to an unexpected power loss.  The new SD image does away with NOOBS, so we now only have the /boot partition which Dan referenced.  On the system I am testing the new SD image on, I currently have /boot set as read-only, but since we rarely write to it anyway, I'm not sure if this is really needed.  I may experiment with not mounting /boot at all, but since we don't write to it, I don't know if that will really help much more.

The new image should be better though since we have eliminated one of the VFAT points of failure.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
I have a SD card written with the 02/14 version.  I'll play with it this evening on my 4W x 3H P10 matrix.

Jim

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
Sanity check please.  I would like one of you who knows whats going on behind the scenes to verify that I am seeing what I should be seeing after the install onto a SD card.
According to Windows, the 16GB SD card has a name of "boot" with a capacity of 40.8 MB.  There is an Overlays directory with 127 files (mostly 1 & 2KB files), and in the root there are 26 files totaling about 19 MB.  The rest of the SD card is not recognized by Windows (as I think I understand from a few posts back) because it's in a format that Windows does not recognize.  Can I assume that for the same reason, when attempting a Verify using the DiskImager utility, it fails a sector 8192?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »
Sanity check please.  I would like one of you who knows whats going on behind the scenes to verify that I am seeing what I should be seeing after the install onto a SD card.
According to Windows, the 16GB SD card has a name of "boot" with a capacity of 40.8 MB.  There is an Overlays directory with 127 files (mostly 1 & 2KB files), and in the root there are 26 files totaling about 19 MB.  The rest of the SD card is not recognized by Windows (as I think I understand from a few posts back) because it's in a format that Windows does not recognize.  Can I assume that for the same reason, when attempting a Verify using the DiskImager utility, it fails a sector 8192?

The .img file is not a full SD image, it is only the first part of a SD so that it can be used on anything starting with a 4GB SD or higher.  There is a way in the UI to expand the root filesystem to fill the SD card.  This will expand the partition by reconfiguring the partition table and then expand the filesystem onto the partition.  The boot partition is small, it has very few files on it, a little over 20MB currently.  This is the only filesystem readable on windows since it is VFAT.  The root partition contains a Linux filesystem and won't be usable under Windows.

I would think that a verify of the image would work, but I have never tried running verify against one a SD image. Sector 8192 is the beginning of the VFAT boot partition, so it is odd that it fails on that sector.  Have you tried booting the SD up in a Pi?  If it works, don't bother with the rabbit trails.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
The .img file is not a full SD image, it is only the first part of a SD so that it can be used on anything starting with a 4GB SD or higher.  There is a way in the UI to expand the root filesystem to fill the SD card.  This will expand the partition by reconfiguring the partition table and then expand the filesystem onto the partition.  The boot partition is small, it has very few files on it, a little over 20MB currently.  This is the only filesystem readable on windows since it is VFAT.  The root partition contains a Linux filesystem and won't be usable under Windows.
That means that I really did understand what was going on.  I understand that Windows could not read the Linux filesystem.  Just wanted to make sure it was what should be expected.  It's been about 25 years since I have done anything with Unix (Sun's Solaris specifically).  There's a lot of cobwebs in that part of my brain  :)

I would think that a verify of the image would work, but I have never tried running verify against one a SD image. Sector 8192 is the beginning of the VFAT boot partition, so it is odd that it fails on that sector.  Have you tried booting the SD up in a Pi?  If it works, don't bother with the rabbit trails.
I have not tried it in a Pi yet because I'm not where my two Pi 3s are.  I expect to try it when I get home this evening.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
The .img file is not a full SD image, it is only the first part of a SD so that it can be used on anything starting with a 4GB SD or higher. There is a way in the UI to expand the root filesystem to fill the SD card.  This will expand the partition by reconfiguring the partition table and then expand the filesystem onto the partition. 

I really like that method of FPP image distribution.  Loads really fast and allows almost any size SD from 4GB up.   I just tried loading in on spare 8GB card, booted up fine but showed very little free space left on the 4GB partition (as expected).  Then I expanded it and now shows over 4GB free space.  Perfect.

I had issues with the Pi-Zero-W SD image that was built for 16GB.  Even though I intend to use a 16GB sd card on the zero, I apparently have a few cards that are a few sectors smaller than the one it was build for on and I could not load the image on those even though it should have plenty of free space.  In addition, the 16GB images take 4 time longer to write using the DiskImager software.   I think it makes sense that all future SD image builds should be on the smallest image possible and then we can use the "expand" option to grow it to whatever size SD is actually desired.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
The .img file is not a full SD image, it is only the first part of a SD so that it can be used on anything starting with a 4GB SD or higher. There is a way in the UI to expand the root filesystem to fill the SD card.  This will expand the partition by reconfiguring the partition table and then expand the filesystem onto the partition. 

I really like that method of FPP image distribution.  Loads really fast and allows almost any size SD from 4GB up.   I just tried loading in on spare 8GB card, booted up fine but showed very little free space left on the 4GB partition (as expected).  Then I expanded it and now shows over 4GB free space.  Perfect.

I had issues with the Pi-Zero-W SD image that was built for 16GB.  Even though I intend to use a 16GB sd card on the zero, I apparently have a few cards that are a few sectors smaller than the one it was build for on and I could not load the image on those even though it should have plenty of free space.  In addition, the 16GB images take 4 time longer to write using the DiskImager software.   I think it makes sense that all future SD image builds should be on the smallest image possible and then we can use the "expand" option to grow it to whatever size SD is actually desired.

Pixelpuppy, would you share the process to expand the free space. 
UI is above my pay grade....

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
Pixelpuppy, would you share the process to expand the free space. 
UI is above my pay grade....

Super easy.   Go to the FPP webpage, then FPP Settings, then Advaned Settings, then Grow Filesystem

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
Many thanks pixelpupy......forgot about that advance setting page.  Looked at all other pages.

Wow:  .4gb to 11.7gb in seconds.  Now I bane room for storage.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:21:16 PM by Sawdust »

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 01:28:34 AM »
Wow!  Was that fast!

Got an issue however...  Changed several settings and they appeared to take fine except for changing to a static IP.  That I had to reboot the Pi for that to take.  However, now any page I attempt to go to except the status page results in a:
504  Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.10.3

Now I will point out that the computer I'm communicating with is on a different subnet and therefore does require going through a router, but I had correctly specified the gateway.  Then just to be sure of myself, I tried it from a computer that was on the same LAN as the Pi, with the same result.  Note that both computer can ping the Pi just fine.

Must have sleep.  Off to bed...