Author Topic: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch  (Read 17297 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: Beta SD image for FPP running on Raspbian Stretch
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 02:16:29 AM »
Wow!  Was that fast!

Got an issue however...  Changed several settings and they appeared to take fine except for changing to a static IP.  That I had to reboot the Pi for that to take.  However, now any page I attempt to go to except the status page results in a:
504  Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.10.3

The Gateway timeout is an error from nginx trying to talk to php-fpm I believe.  That shouldn't have been affected by the IP change.  I will have to try to reproduce this issue over the weekend if I can.  For now, can you check the nginx error log in the logs directory in FPP's File Manager to see if the log indicates what the issue is?

I will have to defer to Dan on whether the new static IP network config code for Stretch requires a reboot.  I haven't got around to testing a static IP yet. 
-
Chris

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Is the Pi using connman or still using NetworkManager?   I think that's the main difference between the images now as the BBB uses connman.   Thus, all the networking stuff is completely different for BBB than Pi.
Dan Kulp

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
I was having a problem where my USB thumb drive was showing up twice in the external storage device box.
I'm using a 64 gig SanDisk and it was showing up as a 59.2 GB not mounted and a 58.9 GB not mounted.
If I chose the 59.2 and told it to format fpp wouldn't start back up again.
When I chose the 58.9 it works but the 59.2 still shows up as not mounted?

Also when it starts up I get a "failed to start dhcpcd on all interfaces" on the monitor attached to the pi.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »
Captain, I would love to look at the logs, but I cant get to any page to see or change anything.  Or can I telnet into it and see how well I remember my Unix commands?

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
I'd also like to note that when I go to the MultiSync page it takes an awful long time to recover.
I reformatted a different USB thumb drive and my other issue went away.
The one that was showing up twice was the one that was originally in the pi.
Other than that I'm loving the fast boot up times.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:13:35 AM by Ebuechner »

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »

Also when it starts up I get a "failed to start dhcpcd on all interfaces" on the monitor attached to the pi.

I get the same FAILED notice on PI 2B, 3 & Zeros.  Followed by:
See 'systenctl status  dchpcd.service for details.

I'd also like to note that when I go to the MultiSync page it takes an awful long time to recover.

MultiSync is fast for me.  I do use Class 10 high transfer rate 16 or 32GB Sandisks.  uSD may make a difference.

Also, I have updated to the latest:      v1.x-master-124-g183a815f

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
Also, I have updated to the latest:      v1.x-master-124-g183a815f

I'm confused by that.  I'm running the version dated 02-14 which is I presume the latest version, but I'm showing:
Version: v1.x-master-122-g1e88034b (master-v1.x branch)
I don't pretend to know what all of those numbers mean, but I would have thought that 122 is older than 124

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
The Gateway timeout is an error from nginx trying to talk to php-fpm I believe.  That shouldn't have been affected by the IP change.  I will have to try to reproduce this issue over the weekend if I can.  For now, can you check the nginx error log in the logs directory in FPP's File Manager to see if the log indicates what the issue is?

I will have to defer to Dan on whether the new static IP network config code for Stretch requires a reboot.  I haven't got around to testing a static IP yet.
(Edited to fix my quote)

Turns out that I CAN get to the file manager and read the logs.  About the only thing that I can get to it seems.  If it will let me, attached is a zip of the log file. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:47:40 PM by k6ccc »

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
New Issue

No elan0 was connected.
[FAILED]  Failed to start Configure Bluetooth Modem connection by UART.
See systenctl status heluart.service for details
wlan0 iP not connected.

Connected with elan0 and no error, but wlan0 ip not shown.
MultiSync shows only eth0
Went to network, config is correct for wlan0. 
Without changing anything, I clicked Update interface, Restart Network,  and confirmed yes.
Back to MultiSync and wlan0 in there.

Starting without elth0 connected may of may not show wlan0 IP address during boot.
Connecting to wlan0 may or may not connect when IP is shown.
I believe once IP for wlan0 wasnt shown, but connected.

Edit:  More info.
Went static, removing dhcp for eth0 wlan0 and DNS - no changes.  Same FAILED dchp.... and no wlan0 connection without elan0
Booted without etho and both IP's appeared in boot log.  Neither worked.
Refreshed the Browser a few times on wlan0 IP - nothing.  Plugged in eth0, refreshed and wlan0 came up ok.  So did eth0.  (did nothing after plugging in Ethernet cable, except refresh)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:33:08 PM by Sawdust »

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Also, I have updated to the latest:      v1.x-master-124-g183a815f

I'm confused by that.  I'm running the version dated 02-14 which is I presume the latest version, but I'm showing:
Version: v1.x-master-122-g1e88034b (master-v1.x branch)
I don't pretend to know what all of those numbers mean, but I would have thought that 122 is older than 124

I did a manual update.....If you want to do the same (Your Risk) click on:   v1.x-master-122-g1e88034b (master-v1.x branch)  click on MANUAL UPDATE

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 12:53:08 PM »

I did a manual update.....If you want to do the same (Your Risk) click on:   v1.x-master-122-g1e88034b (master-v1.x branch)  click on MANUAL UPDATE

Can't.  Get the gateway time-out error.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »

I get the same FAILED notice on PI 2B, 3 & Zeros.  Followed by:
See 'systenctl status  dchpcd.service for details.

MultiSync is fast for me.  I do use Class 10 high transfer rate 16 or 32GB Sandisks.  uSD may make a difference.

Also, I have updated to the latest:      v1.x-master-124-g183a815f
Yeah, I run nothing but class 10 SD cards.
When I go to the MultiSync  page it seems to be hanging on some process.
And I'm on the latest build.
I just converted one out of four this morning for a little bit of testing and just reporting back the first few little things that I found.
I've also made a couple of minor changes that seem to keep on dropping out my wifi connection.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »

Can't.  Get the gateway time-out error.

Glendora!  Can your WiFi get thru the smog...... ;D   Been there is the 70's/early 80's when you couldn't see the mountain tops on a bad day.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
Glendora!  Can your WiFi get thru the smog...... ;D   Been there is the 70's/early 80's when you couldn't see the mountain tops on a bad day.

OK, fully off-topic...
Yes, my WiFi works just fine.  In fact, my kids will tell you that I have the best range WiFi of anyone that they know (and it's likely true).

As for the smog, I was born in 1959 and raised in Pasadena, so I fully know what you mean.  Growing up, most of every summer we could not see the San Gabriel mountains - less than two miles away.  I learned to fly at El Monte airport in 1977, and we got very used to "Special VFR" visibility (that means less than three miles visibility for you non-pilots).  Every single day during the summer there was at least a first stage smog alert, with dozens of second stage alerts and some third stage alerts.  I was in the band in high school and sometimes we would have to cancel or curtail our field marching practice because the smog was so bad.  Then the Air Pollution Control District (they have a new name now) started cleaning up local fixed sources of air pollution and the state imposed rules on vehicle emissions.  Over the years, it got better - a LOT better.  These days, because the limits have changed, what would have been a first stage smog alert back then would now be a third stage smog alert now - first and second stage alerts for even lesser amounts of smog.  We had one first stage alert a couple years ago - it was the first one in several years years.   Overall ranking, we're still #1 for ozone (largely thanks to our massive sunshine), but down the list for particulates.  These days it's rare for me not to be able to see the tall buildings of downtown LA - almost 25 miles away.

OK, back to Stretch...

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »
I converted a pi that I have hooked up to a 3x3 P10 panel setup with Ron's octoscroller.
I have everything up and running and configured and it's receiving packets but no matter what I do I can't get the panels to work.
I'm trying to run it in bridge mode from Xlights.