Author Topic: F/S: Preliminary PocketBeagle based controllers  (Read 1154 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 28
F/S: Preliminary PocketBeagle based controllers
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »

I have a LIMITED (under 15) number of F8-PB and PocketScrollers available for people who would be willing to help test or just want to get one sooner rather than later.     For details on the PocketScroller, see:
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8265.msg77259.html

For details on the F8-PB, see:
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8590.0.html
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7210.0.html

Both boards are somewhat prototypes that I'm using for testing before offering a group buy.   The PocketScroller is functionally complete and working.  The only difference that the group buy board will likely have is being black instead of green.   The group buy board MAY also allow 1/32 scan panels (these boards top out at 1/16), but this is likely not an issue for anyone as 1/32 scan panels are small and have very poor refresh rates. 
The F8-PB has a problem on the expansion header.   One port (port 13) on the expansion is routed to the wrong pin.  Thus, it won't work without some creative jumpering on the expansion  board (not recommended).   The group buy version will also duplicate the F16v3's method of "remove a single resistor to allow 24V input" which this board does not support (you'd have to remove all 8 fuse indicator leds). 
Cost: since these are non-fully functional, they are slightly cheaper than the group buy will be.

You WILL need:
1) A USB network adapter supported by FPP.  Wifi or Ethernet is fine.
2) A decent sized/speed SD card - the PocketBeagle has no eMMC so the SD card is critical.  The OS and sequences and everything run off the SD card.   I STRONGLY recommend a large (>=32GB) SanDisk Ultra or similar that is fast and has plenty of space and is rated for the temperatures we encounter.
3) If using Wifi, a MicroUSB data cable to do the USB tether to setup the Wifi information.   (this is useful for ethernet as well, but dhcp can work) If you have an android phone or kindle or Pi or similar, you likely already have one of these.

Cost:
PocketScroller only - $17.50
F8-PB only - $40
PocketBeagle pre-mounted - $30
Shipping - these are fairly small.  Up to 4 can fit in a priority mail small flat rate box at $7.   If you want more than 4, let me know.

If you don't purchase the PocketBeagle pre-mounted, you will need one with female headers mounted on the bottom.

Since quantity is limited, please direct message me first to make sure I have some left.  First come, first server.   If you don't get one of these, the group buy will be very soon.   
Dan Kulp

Offline dkulp

• Developer
Re: F/S: Preliminary PocketBeagle based controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:55:25 PM »
Note:  I ALSO have "v2" Octroscrollers available.   See:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8719.0.html

and can combine shipping.  :)

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
I have no time now for proper testing of these but if you have some left over in a couple months, I will take some of the F8-PB and pocketscrollers.  I just don't have the free time now to be a valuable tester. 

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
Dan what does the interface look like for managing the ports and universes, pixel counts, brightness stuff like that?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »

The "master" branch has the new code for the virtual strings that should look fairly close to the F16v3 setups.   

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »
Does the F8-PB flaw only effect the expansion header? I can still configure the serial outputs to control differential receivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
Yes. And it only affects port 13 on expansion. I believe there is even a mod to fix that.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »
I think I would rather buy a second F8-PB and push the differential receivers than add the expansion board. Its a nice feature I just dont think I would use it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
Yes. And it only affects port 13 on expansion. I believe there is even a mod to fix that.

Correct.   The data for port 13 is going out on the "clock" line for port 14.   Thus, if you have the regular expansion board (differential expansion would be different) you can just feed the data wire for port 13 from the clock line of port 14 and it would work perfectly. 

Offline Wichita

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »
Is this latest image for the PocketBeagle   bbb-fpp-master1x-20180203.zip ?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
Is this latest image for the PocketBeagle   bbb-fpp-master1x-20180203.zip ?

I believe it should work, but it's been a while since I test the master1x branch on any of the BBB related things.  If you can, I would suggest using the bbb-fpp-master-alpha-20180222.zip  image.   The BBB matrix code is a complete re-write there which is much more efficient, brighter, etc...

Offline Wichita

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
I am having trouble getting a string to test.  I have tried 2 different strings and both port1 and 2. Nothing lights. 

Offline MikeKrebs

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
that is way too many channels to test.  set the end to 300.

Offline Wichita

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
I set the end to 300 and still nothing.  I have voltage and these strings work on the Pi Cap

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »

I've been semi-offline the last couple days due to a power outage.  Got power back this evening, but I have a bunch of cleanup work to do this weekend from fallen trees and such.  We had a tree destroy a section of fence.  Another landed on the deck and took out several sections of railing.  Etc....

I'll try and find a little time to get the PB+F8PB test again with the latest code to make sure none of the recent changes have broken anything.  However, can you reboot and/or manually update to grab the latest and then make sure FPPD is started and is actually running.   If it is and still doesn't output, can you login and double check that a /tmp/FalconWS281x.bin actually exists?