Author Topic: Going from LOR to combo Falcon/LOR  (Read 1583 times)

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 45
Re: Going from LOR to combo Falcon/LOR
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »
Well, you could flip it around and ask:  what can SuperStar do that we cannot do just as easily in xLights?  :)   With the effect assist window, all the morphs and scene/images and such are very doable.   (scenes/images admittedly are a bit tougher as we save those to separate files instead of embedding in the sequence, something I've thought about adjusting, just never really prioritized it)

Seriously, with the AC Toolbar, sequencing the single channel props is just about as easy as using any of the sequencers out there.   That used to be one of the big concerns when migrating from something else.   That said, once you start really using xLights effects, most users find they don't need the AC stuff nearly as much as they thought they would.

Things like singing elements are a TON easier with xLights, and being able to take a lyric track and apply it to all kind of different types of singing elements (p10 images, 8 channel faces, pixel faces, etc... ) is very powerful.

Obviously the integration with various hardware is important (FPP, Falcon, etc...).   Performance.  Large channel counts (not talking thousands or even 10's of thousands of channels.   100's of thousands of channels "just  work".   Did I mention performance?

Things start to really shine when you start heavily using layers and groups.   Until you fully grasp both of those, a lot of the xLights power isn't revealed.   Being able to combine various effects in unusual ways to create entirely new visuals is powerful.  Being able to do those across a group, or across the entire house, or just across a section of your house or similar is something that is much harder to do with just about anything else.     That said, that gets into the learning curve a bit more.

Anyway, other than the auto-sequence stuff, I really don't think there is anything that can be done in any of the other sequencers that xLights cannot also do, but I don't believe the reverse is true. 
Dan Kulp

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
Well, you could flip it around and ask:  what can SuperStar do that we cannot do just as easily in xLights?
Is there any sort of conversation utility, or do I get to spend a couple thousand hours resequencing?

BTW, I dont use the auto-sequence thing in SuperStar - dont like the results from that.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Todd

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I looked into Superstar and didn't like the price. xLights can import LOR into it. There are many videos out there on how to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
I have considered making the switch too but have not done so yet. Three years ago I did away with all of my LOR hardware and now only use Falcon's which I love. They are top notch. As a matter of fact I own 5 F16v2's and 1 F16V3. I have pretty much learned how to import LOR sequences into Xlights. I have done some sequencing with Xlights but I have a lot of money invested in LOR. Money isn't everything in this hobby though. We all spend a lot of it. I do believe that after this year I may end up making the switch especially since I have added P10 matrix. Everyone says that LOR cannot handle much in the way of channels but I have had 0 issues with that and I ran 8,000 pixels last year. This year I will be around 40,000 channels and so far I have not seen any performance issues with LOR. In the end I am not sure what I will do.

Offline 1983ss454

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 12:22:02 AM »
Sort of watching this thread.  Can someone answer me this.  I am a long time LOR user and have been running thousands of E1.31 channels via LOR for years.  I sequence everything in SuperStar.  I will fully admit that I have only glanced at xLights, but from everything I have seen, it is essentially Pixel Editor (or really the other way around).  I HATE Pixel Editor.  Can someone tell me why I want to go to xLights?  I currently have no plans on switching, just wondering.  BTW, I have asked this question in various places several times over the past couple years, and NO ONE has been able to come up with a reason any better than "It's better" - without any explanation of what's better.

Im in the process of switching over now. I absolutely hate pixel editor and felt i wasted hours of my life
Trying to get it to work. The only issue I see with your setup is superstar was putting out intensity files the same as the pixel editor and I dont think those can be migrated into xlights. Bringing SE stuff in is very Simple. The most important thing is to setup your preview first with everything before trying to bring in the other sequence

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Im in the process of switching over now. I absolutely hate pixel editor and felt i wasted hours of my life
Trying to get it to work. The only issue I see with your setup is superstar was putting out intensity files the same as the pixel editor and I dont think those can be migrated into xlights. Bringing SE stuff in is very Simple. The most important thing is to setup your preview first with everything before trying to bring in the other sequence
I'm a little curious about your statement.  You say that you hated Pixel Editor - as I do.  What everything I have heard / seen, XLights is very similar to Pixel Editor (or actually the other way around).  I have made that statement several different times in several different forums, and so far, no one has disagreed with the statement or said I was wrong.  Since I hate Pixel Editor, I can't guess that I'm going to love Xlights.  Frankly, not that this would happen, but if SuperStar had a "it stops working on this date" (obviously it doesn't), and I was therefore forced to use PE, I would stop running a light show.  BTW, the only reason I'm using FPP is because it's the only way to drive my P5 and P10 panels.

Offline 1983ss454

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »
I'm a little curious about your statement.  You say that you hated Pixel Editor - as I do.  What everything I have heard / seen, XLights is very similar to Pixel Editor (or actually the other way around).  I have made that statement several different times in several different forums, and so far, no one has disagreed with the statement or said I was wrong.  Since I hate Pixel Editor, I can't guess that I'm going to love Xlights.  Frankly, not that this would happen, but if SuperStar had a "it stops working on this date" (obviously it doesn't), and I was therefore forced to use PE, I would stop running a light show.  BTW, the only reason I'm using FPP is because it's the only way to drive my P5 and P10 panels.

It took some getting used to but i was able to program pretty well in pixel editor, its a matter of how you set up your timings. My biggest issue was that I had my pixel tree sequences from superstar, ac stuff for SE and then pixel editor. Exporting the PE stuff into SE to play and everything coming out jumbled. I spent hours doing that, half my songs last year only had the front wheel pixels from my Ferris wheel
running because it wouldnt export correctly and I gave up. I was at the point where I need a new PC to run the show and decided I liked the idea of FPP better. Even using intensity files I was having major lag issues.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 95
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
What everything I have heard / seen, XLights is very similar to Pixel Editor (or actually the other way around).  I have made that statement several different times in several different forums, and so far, no one has disagreed with the statement or said I was wrong. 

Pixel Editor was written and is maintained by the same person who originally re-wrote "Nutcracker" using C++ so there are certainly similarities. LOR bought a license to that code and they have diverged from that point. (since March 2014)

I can't tell from your text if you have installed the latest 2018.18 version of xLights but it is nothing like Pixel Editor any more. New programmers have created new and better interfaces. The hardest part is keeping up with the improvements (and they are improvements! )
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:25:15 AM by JonB256 »

Offline rwthib

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
Other LOR controller question.
Can I run the Pixie2D on the same network as the falcon?
It looks like they have jumpers to make RJ45 DMX but being LOR you never know.
Here is the manual if anyone can understand it.
http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixie_Man_Web.pdf

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
Other LOR controller question.
Can I run the Pixie2D on the same network as the falcon?
It looks like they have jumpers to make RJ45 DMX but being LOR you never know.
Here is the manual if anyone can understand it.
http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixie_Man_Web.pdf

The Pixie runs LOR high speed protocol and only LOR outputs that via RS-485. The Falcon controller receives E131 over a network connection not RS-485.

Please only connect the E131 ports of the Falcon controller to computer, switch or router.  Also do not connect a LOR controller to the DMX port1. LOR has 10V DC on one of the pins which will cause problems with most DMX devices other than LOR.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
The Pixie2D runs DMX.  JP2 and JP3 change the RJ45 wiring from LOR to DMX standard.

Offline rwthib

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
The Pixie2D runs DMX.  JP2 and JP3 change the RJ45 wiring from LOR to DMX standard.

That is my confusion. So will it work or not?