Power Supply from used Computer servers power supply

Author Topic: Power Supply from used Computer servers power supply  (Read 354 times)

Offline MrTeaIOT

• Kudos: 0
Power Supply from used Computer servers power supply
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
Anyone tested using Computer Server power supply to power Christmas LED lights and controller?  I found in remote-hobby site, they use it to as power their Li-Po battery charger.  The specs stated can produce up to 800 to 1000watts in 12.10 volts and very efficient.  This has been used in 24 hours as power for computer servers must be more durable than power supply for use in pixels lights.  Since it is used the price is more than 50% cheaper. :)

Offline TNF250

• Kudos: 1
Re: Power Supply from used Computer servers power supply
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »
Zane
Springfield, TN

X-Lights - RPi3 - FPP - Falcon - DLA Lynx

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
Computer power supplies have been around in this hobby since the beginning of usage of LED pixels (dumb and smart).  For a while, the concern was the wild swings of draw that fast changing lighting puts a power supply through, compared to the lesser swings of a computer system was too much for the computer units.

When "purpose built" power supplies came along, the use of computer power supplies shrank, but it has not gone away. 

FYI  - I've had nothing but good luck with them, where I still have them. 

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline MrTeaIOT

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
Computer power supplies have been around in this hobby since the beginning of usage of LED pixels (dumb and smart).  For a while, the concern was the wild swings of draw that fast changing lighting puts a power supply through, compared to the lesser swings of a computer system was too much for the computer units.

When "purpose built" power supplies came along, the use of computer power supplies shrank, but it has not gone away. 

FYI  - I've had nothing but good luck with them, where I still have them.
How long have you been using and which one and using breakout board? Some photos would be nice.  How much watts have you max draw out of it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:36:56 AM »
How long have you been using and which one and using breakout board? Some photos would be nice.  How much watts have you max draw out of it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This will be my 7th year with pixels.  The first couple of years was with dumb-nodes and were driven pretty much exclusively with re-purposed PC power supplies.  I've had two of them on my test bench since the beginning - still going strong.  Only one prop in the field using one at this time.

Everything is packed away so I can't get a shot of the one in the field.  I'll grab a shot of the ones I do have.  Note that it is not pretty, but it works.  :)