Author Topic: Falcon f16 v3 boots with some pixels on  (Read 432 times)

Offline Shwetty

• Kudos: 0
Falcon f16 v3 boots with some pixels on
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
When I power up the f16, and pi3 from an insteon receptacle, ports 3 and 4 LED strips have some pixels turning on and staying on regardless of what I send to the f16.  Test mode works on ports 1 and 2.  ?
Pi3, F16v3, xlights

Offline MikeKrebs

Re: Falcon f16 v3 boots with some pixels on
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:38:25 PM »
how long are the strips and have you power injected them? if they don't have enough power, the data line can get messed up leaving the leds in a confused state.

Offline Shwetty

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
Just a small starter setup on my deck's handrails on ports 3 and 4 that are led strips 5 meters each.  Ports 1 and 2 are rgb bulb strings 5 meters each hanging in the canopy.
Its a 5 volt system powering ports 1-8 and the f16.     
The odd thing is that this all worked just fine with an xlights file or test mode from the pi3, or a test mode from the f16.  I did notice after installation about 2 months ago that it happened and I just powered down everything from the insteon remote receptacle and powered up again.  It behaved all night.  I havent powered up in a couple weeks til yesterday and now I cant shake this problem no matter how many reboots.  I just wondered if this happened to anyone else and there was a known fix maybe powering up devices in a particular order??

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »
Try powering from a non-insteon receptacle.  I have found that some times those device leak small amounts of current.  I have a similar situation in my workshop where a screw in flourescent light does not want to go off all the time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »
I had my F-16 controller do something similar which ended up being a iffy ethernet connection.
After putting new ends on the Cat 5 and testing it the problem went away.

Offline jfeger

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »
I had a similar issue with pixel's from Holiday Coro.   Turns out, if I don't have those pixels addressed in the Falcon, they power up and stay on (blue).  Its only the pixels from Holiday Coro that do that, and only if they aren't addressed as a channel.

Scenario : I have a 50 pixel string where I only use the first 48 pixels.  Leaving the last two pixels unaddressed created the always on situation.