Author Topic: Candy Canes out of Clear PVC light suggestions  (Read 814 times)

Offline rjhodgefamily

• Kudos: 0
Re: Candy Canes out of Clear PVC light suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
Yeah not afraid to build my own and I know some of it will be based on the nodes I get eventually. But right now not even sure where to start.

Thanks!

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
Have you taken a look at any of the wiki documentation?  Different sites have a bunch of stuff for getting your head start.

There is some here, and three other sites come to mind:
1.  doityourselfchristmas.com
2.  diychristmas.org
3.  auschristmaslighting.com

The last one has a document known as the "101 Manual".  Once you create an account (free), it will show up on the main page banner.
A good place to start, for sure.

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »
Ok I have been reading a ton of stuff and have my first candy cane up and running. Now my next problem is how to daisy chain them together. I was thinking of using or building something like this tee from holiday coro: http://www.holidaycoro.com/Three-Conductor-Tap-MMF-p/728.htm

The one thing I am fuzzy on is if I tee at the bottom of the nodes will I still be able to address each candy cane individually, or is this working more as a signal splitter? Or am I going to have to run the signal back down from the output on top?

End goal is to have candy cane 1 be channels 1-90, candy cane 2 be 91-180 etc...

Thanks,
Richard

Offline MikeKrebs

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
That cable would act as a splitter from my read.  you will need to bring the data down from the end of the cane to chain it to the next cane.
there is a3/4/3 tee from ray wu that could be used.  just a note that different connectors are not usually compatible from different vendors.  so don't expect to buy holiday coro extensions and use them with ray wu tees.
what i see in my head is a 5 or 10 foot extension cable cut in half.    power and ground from both ends of the cable and the cane lights joined together. the data from the male side goes to the cane input.  the wire run back from the end goes to the female data wire.  you might be able to use a PST from holiday.lighting to do this.  it might make it neater if it fits in the cane otherwise just join them together covered in some liquid tape or shrink wrap and zipped to the cane bottom.