Author Topic: FPP new feature - video on Pixel Overlay Matrix (p5/p10)  (Read 381 times)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 46
FPP new feature - video on Pixel Overlay Matrix (p5/p10)
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »

I just pushed some changes I've been working on for a while.   It's still kind of "rough" so consider it experimental.

Basically, it allows videos (mp4/mkv/avi) to be processed, scaled, and displayed on a Pixel Overlay Matrix.   Thus, you can create a Pixel Overlay Matrix for your P10/5 panel, add an mp4 to the playlist directing it to output the video onto the matrix, and it should then "play" onto the matrix.   

I would strongly suggest pre-scaling the videos.   The BBB definitely does NOT have enough horsepower to decode 720p video (I tried).   The newer Pi's might, but I'd still suggest pre-processing.   Right now, it scales the video to fill the entire matrix.  Thus, if you want to keep an aspect ratio or something, pre-process the video.   

Anyway, haven't done a lot of testing with it, but it's a start. 

Dan Kulp

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
Re: FPP new feature - video on Pixel Overlay Matrix (p5/p10)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
Very cool!

When you say it "scales to fill the matrix" does it scale un-symmetrically (vertical and horizontal scaled differently) or will it maintain aspect ratio?
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »

When you say it "scales to fill the matrix" does it scale un-symmetrically (vertical and horizontal scaled differently) or will it maintain aspect ratio?

un-summetrically.   Basically, libswscale (part of ffmpeg) you pass in the source frame size and the dest frame size and it scales to completely fill the destination frame.   That's simple.   libavfilter supposedly has filters that can be used to adjust aspect ratios and such while part of the scaling, but I haven't figure out how to use them yet.  Plus, that would add even additional work along the video pipeline.    That's kind of why I'd suggest using Handbrake or something ahead of time to create a video that is perfectly sized for the matrix you are using.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »

I just pushed some changes I've been working on for a while.   It's still kind of "rough" so consider it experimental.

Basically, it allows videos (mp4/mkv/avi) to be processed, scaled, and displayed on a Pixel Overlay Matrix.   Thus, you can create a Pixel Overlay Matrix for your P10/5 panel, add an mp4 to the playlist directing it to output the video onto the matrix, and it should then "play" onto the matrix.   

Dan, this was working for me but has stopped with latest updates to both  v2.x-master-698-g28eddf91 and v2.1-1-geb54c002

It displays the first frame but stops. FPPD stops immediately, then restarts.

(entered on Github #425 but haven't seen any comments there)