Author Topic: Triggering sequences to play from a DMX channel  (Read 448 times)

Offline tpctech

• Kudos: 0
Triggering sequences to play from a DMX channel
« on: April 08, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
so i want to trigger a sequence on the PI to play when it see a DMX value x on universe y

The thought is in a theatrical environment to have traditional light board run the theater lights but went it sends DMX value on predefined universe it triggers a pi sequence to play.  Madrix has a feature like this but is pretty expense when the pixel counts get large.   

I am a hardware electrical guy not a programmer!

Offline MikeKrebs

Re: Triggering sequences to play from a DMX channel
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:24:35 PM »
Are you talking about actual dmx ptotocol as in a differential serial signal running at 250k? Or since you mentioned universe, maybe they are sending this over e1.31 or artnet?

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56:13 PM »
I can't recall if you can do this with FPP, but I know you can do it with xSchedule.  It's under events --> Data.  You would select the DMX channel that you wished to monitor and when your defined parameter is met, then ____ (you define). 

In FPP I believe this is under the events section with the min/max channels. 

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »
This would be using DMX as an input on the FPP, which is currently not supported.  I asked this question not long ago with the same thing in mind.  Basically it may be a feature in the future after v2.0 comes out.  I've been contemplating using an 8 channel DMX relay to trigger sequences on the FPP through GPIO.  I'll have to look at xSchedule as Griz mentioned.  That might be an option for me. Whatever I do will happen this week as we bring lighting into drama club rehearsals.

Here is the thread where I asked the question
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8922.msg83374.html#msg83374

-Charlie

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
If you have an extra 100ohm resistor (or higher), you could likely fake this on the Pi or BBB.   You could use the GPIO out capability to assign a single DMX/e1.31 channel to a particular GPIO pin.    Thus, when then channel goes high, the pin would go high, etc...    Then jumper from that pin to another pin with the resistor and configure the other pin as a GPIO input to trigger an event. 
Dan Kulp

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
If you have an extra 100ohm resistor (or higher), you could likely fake this on the Pi or BBB.   You could use the GPIO out capability to assign a single DMX/e1.31 channel to a particular GPIO pin.    Thus, when then channel goes high, the pin would go high, etc...    Then jumper from that pin to another pin with the resistor and configure the other pin as a GPIO input to trigger an event.
The issue is there is not a source of E1.31 data to start the chain of events. The only signal would be the differential DMX signal coming from the control board thru a 3 pin XLR connector.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
Thanks that gives me a few ideas to chew on.  I could use the idea to use a GPIO out to an in with e1.131
I can generate the channel data with a DMX to e1.31 convertor or direct from the e1.31 out of a light console

I will look at X schedule also