Author Topic: 4 String DIff Rec Board question.  (Read 600 times)

Offline kjimkoski

• Kudos: 0
4 String DIff Rec Board question.
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
I was going to buy a 4 String Diff Rec board to power a set of arches about 100 feet from my board. I was going to use strips to do this, but after i went to the store to get one, i noticed that is only supports 3 wire pixels and not the four. Ive seen pictures that it once supported 4 wire pixels. Does anyone got any advice of how to still do it with the current board? Or is there future plans to make it 4 wire again. ANy help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
Re: 4 String DIff Rec Board question.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
What pixels are you using that have 4 connectors?  (They are still out there, but getting scarce.)

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline kjimkoski

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
pixel strips. not nodes.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »
WS2811?  WS2812?  WS2812b?

Offline kjimkoski

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:23:54 PM »
WS 2812, but after going back and looking at the picture of them on Ali Express, they might be three string, or so i hope

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »

I was going to buy a 4 String Diff Rec board to power a set of arches about 100 feet from my board. I was going to use strips to do this, but after i went to the store to get one, i noticed that is only supports 3 wire pixels and not the four. Ive seen pictures that it once supported 4 wire pixels. Does anyone got any advice of how to still do it with the current board? Or is there future plans to make it 4 wire again. ANy help is appreciated. Thanks
The the main controller board and the regular expansion boards support the clock signal for 4-wire pixels that need it, but the  DIFFERENTIAL receivers NEVER supported the 4-wire pixels.  Its uses 4-pin connectors to be physically consistent with the other boards, but it does not support the clock line.

WS 2812, but after going back and looking at the picture of them on Ali Express, they might be three string, or so i hope

They might be the new 2813 which has the extra "backup data" BI/BO wire.   The data is still WS2811 protocol and you can ignore the BI connection on the first pixel and only DO from controller to DI in the first pixel.  The backup data line is used between pixels in the string or between whole strings, but not between controller and 1st pixel
Image result for ws2813 led strip
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:23:22 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline kjimkoski

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »

The the main controller board and the regular expansion boards support the clock signal for 4-wire pixels that need it, but the  DIFFERENTIAL receivers NEVER supported the 4-wire pixels.  Its uses 4-pin connectors to be physically consistent with the other boards, but it does not support the clock line.

I Swear IVe seen someone with a diff board that had the four wire setting printed onto the board.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
Many did have the "clk" signal printed on the board by accident. The silk screening was copied from another controller and the "clk" term was not removed. The last few batches and all receivers going forward have been fixed.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com