Author Topic: Pixel Mega Tree Mount on Pole  (Read 540 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
Pixel Mega Tree Mount on Pole
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
I want to build a 40 foot tall mega RGB tree.  Looking beyond the Pixel MegaTree Topper Mounting System from holidaycoro, what do other people here use for mega tree toppers to connect strips to.   I'm looking for robustness  and strength on something that will last a few years.  So how do you keep the strips facing out and not rotating around.  Could you please show pictures . 

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 15
Re: Pixel Mega Tree Mount on Pole
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:55:54 PM »
There are several good options out there, but the ones from Overkill Metal Products I believe are the best and strongest.   For a 40 ft tree youll want the strongest topper you can get.
No automatic alt text available.

https://www.facebook.com/OverkillMetals/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:08:28 AM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
Contact your local welding shop and have the make what you need. I drew out what I wanted and went down to my local welding shop and had them make me a circle to the diameter I needed and they welded hooks to it for me. It's solid as a rock, It will easily support any amount of lights on it I want to put on it.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline mikewlaymon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
I want to build a 40 foot tall mega RGB tree.  Looking beyond the Pixel MegaTree Topper Mounting System from holidaycoro, what do other people here use for mega tree toppers to connect strips to.   I'm looking for robustness  and strength on something that will last a few years.  So how do you keep the strips facing out and not rotating around.  Could you please show pictures .
r.   Before you buy a topper do you know how many strips your going to use that will determine the diameter of the topper you need .

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
r.   Before you buy a topper do you know how many strips your going to use that will determine the diameter of the topper you need .
As for my setup, I will go more the merrier route right now. I know it will be a 360 degree tree in park setting.   

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
Contact your local welding shop and have the make what you need. I drew out what I wanted and went down to my local welding shop and had them make me a circle to the diameter I needed and they welded hooks to it for me. It's solid as a rock, It will easily support any amount of lights on it I want to put on it.

I went this same route. I used a sheetmetal company and had a 1/4" plate steel 24 string topper with holes lazered out. Also a 290 pixel 5 ring aluminum star with holes lazered out for about $200 total for both. To ship the coro star to Alaska would have cost almost that much. Much sturdier. Just provided a CAD dwg and it turned out perfect.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:34:46 PM by aknflyer »

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:03 AM »

I went this same route. I used a sheetmetal company and had a 1/4" plate steel 24 string topper with holes lazered out. Also a 290 pixel 5 ring aluminum star with holes lazered out for about $200 total for both. To ship the coro star to Alaska would have cost almost that much. Much sturdier. Just provided a CAD dwg and it turned out perfect.

Very Nice, will look into it.  What thickness was the aluminum for the star?  Have several cad drawings lined up for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »

Very Nice, will look into it.  What thickness was the aluminum for the star?  Have several cad drawings lined up for that?

Here are the files in AutoCad 2004 format. The dxf files are what most shops want. The star is 14 gauge or 0.063", the topper 1/4" plate steel with a 2" hole. I used a 1 1/4" pole so mounted a plastic reducer to the plate. The Boysco strips overlap a bit at the top. The star is slightly different from the coro star, as the holes are evenly spaced. The coro star has a bit of a curve to the pixel placement. I do not see any difference on the effects though.
Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:48:42 PM by aknflyer »

Offline sklankowski

• Rotary Lights
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
On to storage.  If I built a 360 RGB tree that is greater than 20 -30 feet, how do you wind up / store the RGBs on the strips?   wind on reel, fold over snake?  any picture may spur my thoughts.

Offline Todd

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:05 AM »
 I have a 20' tall 270 tree. I roll the strips (Boscoyo style),lights and all in a loose circle about 18" in diameter and store them in large Rubbermaid containers (@ 2' x 3') with newspaper in between the rolls so they do not get tangled together. Works great. I'd get you a pic but they're stored away up in the garage attic.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
We are not so gentle with our strips and strings.  After unhooking or un"pegging" the strips of a tree, we bring them all together then gently lower them into a large storage tub.  Usually we do this as the tree is being lowered.  When the next year comes around, we grab the upper ring (on top of the pile) and pull the whole thing up onto the poles. 5 years now with these trees and not a problem.  :)

Offline Todd

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
We are not so gentle with our strips and strings.  After unhooking or un"pegging" the strips of a tree, we bring them all together then gently lower them into a large storage tub.  Usually we do this as the tree is being lowered.  When the next year comes around, we grab the upper ring (on top of the pile) and pull the whole thing up onto the poles. 5 years now with these trees and not a problem.  :)

Sounds a heck of a lot easier than my way.  8)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »

I do exactly the same thing.  They come out a little "wrinkled" at the start of next season, but seem to straighten out just fine after cranking up the pole and the sun hits them  8)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
Sounds a heck of a lot easier than my way.  8)

Actually, the method was arrived at when we added the 8th MegaTree.  Putting them away was taking a long time, and it was cold out there.  My wife asked if there was extra room in the storage unit. I said yes.  She didn't say anything else - just left.  30 minutes later she was back with much larger storage totes.  And that was that.  :)