2018/05/01 FPP new features - DDP out and Output Processors

Author Topic: 2018/05/01 FPP new features - DDP out and Output Processors  (Read 894 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35

Just wanted to to send a quick note out about some new features I pushed to the 2.x/master branch the last couple days:

1) DDP output - on the e1.31/Artnet output page, you can now specify that a line can be DDP output instead of the e1.31/Artnet options that were there before.   If DDP is selected, the "size" field is no longer restricted to 512 channels.  If sending data to another FPP 2.x instance, I would strongly suggest using DDP as it's more efficient and nothing needs to be setup on the receiving side.   

2) Output Processors - the "Remap Channels" option is now gone.  Instead, there is now an "Output Processors" option and remapping channels is one such processor.  There are new processors for adjusting brightness/gammas, setting a specific value, and re-ordering colors.   I may add more in the future. 

Anyway, the changes are pretty big so expect an update to take a while.   Lots of files will need recompiling. 

Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: 2018/05/01 FPP new features - DDP out and Output Processors
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
Pi3+ was pretty fast
Pi3 took a minute longer
the BBB and BBG were much slower (as expected with their slower cpu)

but - in Remap Channels (which I've used for several years to move things around without having to change anything xLights), what is Loops???

(apparently, you thought of that - F1 Help - says:  Duplicating channel data across two or more controllers for instance two identical matrices or pixel trees.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:29:47 PM by JonB256 »

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »
I just uploaded to Logs  FPP_Logs_20180501.1937

2018-05-01 15:34:36 (12828) playlist/PlaylistEntryMedia.cpp:303:Could not start media X��

just update the BBB  and upload the logs FPP_Logs_20180501.2004
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:05:39 PM by JerryPlak »
Jerry Plak

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »
but - in Remap Channels (which I've used for several years to move things around without having to change anything xLights), what is Loops???

(apparently, you thought of that - F1 Help - says:  Duplicating channel data across two or more controllers for instance two identical matrices or pixel trees.)

The loops setting was there previously.  I didn't add that.    Basically, it would allow taking a single group of channels and extending it out duplicating the data.  For example, convert a dumb rgb (3 channels) into a string of 100 pixels.   

Offline keithsw1111

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
Nice dan. Now I have to add more ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »
Nice  ;)
Duplicating channel data across two or more controllers for instance two identical matrices or pixel trees

Keithsw1111 ? this be nice for people that are using xlight not FPP in there set up

Offline keithsw1111

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
Nice  ;)
Duplicating channel data across two or more controllers for instance two identical matrices or pixel trees

Keithsw1111 ? this be nice for people that are using xlight not FPP in there set up
It is already in xschedule.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Nice  ;)

It is already in xschedule.

Thanks  I will pass this on

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Kudos: 0
  • Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »
Sorry to be a bother, but could someone lend me a tip on how to go about getting this latest image/update? Not sure on where to find it. Still running 1.11 beta lol. Thanks.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
Sorry to be a bother, but could someone lend me a tip on how to go about getting this latest image/update? Not sure on where to find it. Still running 1.11 beta lol. Thanks.
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9030.msg84268.html#msg84268

Note that this is a completely new image with new (easier, faster) install procedure.  But you can not update a v1.x image to v2.x you need to start fresh with a V2.x image and then you can update it to the latest release
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
Thanks, pixelpuppy. I totally had that page bookmarked, but forgot about its existence lol. Got a 2.x image up and running on one of my Pi 3s, but FPPD won't start on it now. Trying to figure it out haha.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »
Thanks, pixelpuppy. I totally had that page bookmarked, but forgot about its existence lol. Got a 2.x image up and running on one of my Pi 3s, but FPPD won't start on it now. Trying to figure it out haha.

Others have had a problem with FPPD not starting. Do you have any Channel Inputs or Channel Outputs configured and enabled?

If so, try disabling them and see if FPPD starts. If it does, report back on what you disabled.

fyi, I'm running v2.0 (latest update, 577) just fine. I'm running an LED Panel output to a ColorLight board, so Wireless is the only working connection because the gigabit ethernet out is direct to the CL board.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 21
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »

Which EXACT version are you running?   I seem to recall one of the earlier V2.x builds had an issue with FPPD not starting.  But an update fixed it.

As of the time of this posting, the most current Pi IMAGE BUILD is dated 20180315 which is FPP revision 567 and the most current BBB IMAGE BUILD is dated 20180425 which is FPP revision 575.
There have also been FPP updates after these image builds and is currently sitting at rev 579.
Make sure you start with the latest IMAGE BUILD and then use the FPP gui to update to the most current FPP revision.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:34:08 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 04:14:25 PM »

FPPD on my Pi wasn't starting this afternoon either.   Unfortunately, while trying to debug it, I accidentally deleted my entire media directory and now it starts fine.   Thus, there is SOME setting someplace that is causing it, but I now cannot reproduce it.  :(

If it's not starting, if I could get the contents of the media dir, that would be great.    That said, if you need to get up and running again, delete the media dir contents and see if that helps.   Then start applying whatever settings you need.

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »
Been fiddling with my Pi running FPP 2.x, and to confirm it is currently on v2.x-master-581-gcfe97eba. I tried to perform a manual update on the device a few times, through the FPP About page, but kept encountering a fatal error:

"...ccache g++ -DUSEHTTPAPI -I . -I channeloutput -I mediaoutput  -Wno-write-strings -Wno-narrowing -DPLATFORM_PI -DUSEWIRINGPI -DUSENRF -I../external/RF24/ -I../external/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/include/ -I../external/rpi_ws281x/  -O1 -std=gnu++11 -c mediaoutput/omxplayer.cpp -o mediaoutput/omxplayer.o
ccache g++ -DUSEHTTPAPI -I . -I channeloutput -I mediaoutput  -Wno-write-strings -Wno-narrowing -DPLATFORM_PI -DUSEWIRINGPI -DUSENRF -I../external/RF24/ -I../external/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/include/ -I../external/rpi_ws281x/  -O1 -std=gnu++11 -c mediaoutput/SDLOut.cpp -o mediaoutput/SDLOut.o
mediaoutput/SDLOut.cpp:47:32: fatal error: libswscale/swscale.h: No such file or directory
 #include
                                     ^

compilation terminated.
Makefile:367: recipe for target 'mediaoutput/SDLOut.o' failed
make: *** [mediaoutput/SDLOut.o] Error 1
strip: '/opt/fpp/src/fppd': No such file
md5sum: /opt/fpp/src/fppd: No such file or directory
==========================================================================
Restarting fppd...
 ==========================================================================
Update Complete."