Author Topic: Raspberry PI3b+  (Read 659 times)

Offline lightbalance

• Kudos: 0
Raspberry PI3b+
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Has anyone installed FPP on the new Pi3b+?  If so I need guidance the v1.8 wont load.  I thought I read at one point that there is a beta version image that works for the 3b+ but I cant seem to locate it.  Any help is appreciated!

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
Re: Raspberry PI3b+
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
Has anyone installed FPP on the new Pi3b+?  If so I need guidance the v1.8 wont load.  I thought I read at one point that there is a beta version image that works for the 3b+ but I cant seem to locate it.  Any help is appreciated!

Go to below link for beta - now Alpha, but skim the thread for updates and changes.  If it wont run 1.8/1.9 or 1.10, then you should run Alpha V2.0 - remember it is in test so all features may not be working, and report those you find not working properly.

Hint: start with the Alpha 315 image.
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8795.msg81858.html#msg81858

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 51
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
The alpha image works fine on a 3B+  and seems very stable to me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
v2.x seems very stable on my Pi 3b+ and is noticeably faster to respond to the browser interface. (using it as a Remote to drive a ColorLight matrix board and 9 P10 panels) - no audio

Offline lightbalance

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
v2.x seems very stable on my Pi 3b+ and is noticeably faster to respond to the browser interface. (using it as a Remote to drive a ColorLight matrix board and 9 P10 panels) - no audio
Thanks Guys,  Ill check it out when I get home tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
Will the pi3B+ handle my show? I have FSEQ files 1-2GB in size, im worried it may lag when loading or catching up being they're big sizes.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
Will the pi3B+ handle my show? I have FSEQ files 1-2GB in size, im worried it may lag when loading or catching up being they're big sizes.

All my FSEQ files last year were 1.1gb to 750mb. No lag on a pi3B and the + is faster.

Just be sure the SD card is high quality and high speed. That is the weak point.

Offline brichi

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »

All my FSEQ files last year were 1.1gb to 750mb. No lag on a pi3B and the + is faster.

Just be sure the SD card is high quality and high speed. That is the weak point.

I've been using the Samsung ones below, that should be good right?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR4IJBE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1and you house all the media files like music, pics, video and so on files on the SD card or USB?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^  And same goes for USB stick if you're using one.

xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline brichi

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^  And same goes for USB stick if you're using one.

I have these usb's for my existing Pi's that seem good - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CCTJKE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these SD cards that are part of a Pi amazon kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR4IJBE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline lightbalance

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 11:10:21 AM »
Thanks Guys,  Ill check it out when I get home tonight

I downloaded the alpha image and loaded it on my 3B+.  It looked promising until it asked for a FPP login and password.  Now I seem stuck again?????

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »
  It looked promising until it asked for a FPP login and password.  Now I seem stuck again? ??? ?

Username: fpp
Password: falcon

That has always been there for command line.  But when you get to that point, its much easier to just use a web browser and connect to the FPP web interface (http://fpp.local) there is no login for that

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
If you are looking at a Monitor and have a keyboard, you will see a request for login.

The ID is  fpp
The password is falcon

BUT - unless you plan on doing "stuff" via the command line, it is unnecessary to ever login at that point.

All the real work is now done via the Web Interface of FPP. You get to it using the TCP/IP address assigned during bootup.
If you had a CAT5 cable attached during bootup, look up the screen a ways and you'll see it.
Just enter that address in a web browser on the same network (your Mac or PC or even smartphone)

If you don't have a CAT5 cable attached for network access, your RasPi is not really connected to anything (yet).
All further configuration will be done through the web browser, including config of a wireless connection.   

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
To further JonB256 comments........if you are seeing login, then a few lines up you will see my IP.  Type that IP Address into your browser command line to access FPP.  Then do a manual update.

Offline lightbalance

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
Thanks again guys.  Im a newbie to FPP Ive been running my show for bout 8 years now using Xlights and a PC.  Finally decided to make the big jump to the Raspberry.