Author Topic: Data Wire only  (Read 458 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
Data Wire only
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
I am building a mega RGB tree with injected power all around the base.  With this F48 Pixel controller, what card would be best to supply the needed data signal, or should I use the F16V3.  Any way to simply to use the differential ports to just supply the data? 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:16:37 AM by sklankowski »

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Data Wire only
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
I believe that the F48 is data only. The receivers for it supply the power.The F16 can be used for data (and ground) only as long as the typical data distance isn't exceeded. Once you exceed that distance the data gets flaky and you need null pixels, Null buffer, F-Amp, uAmp or similar.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
E1.31 to the F48.  Differential (RS485) from the F48 to each of the remotes.  SPI from the remote to the lights.
Proper power at each remote and at the F48.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
I am building a mega RGB tree with infused power all around the base.  With this F48 Pixel controller, what card would be best to supply the needed data signal, or should I use the F16V3.

When many pixels strings are in close proximity, (like with a pixel tree or pixel matrix) then the F16 controller (with 16+ local string ports) makes more sense.  The F48 is more appropriate when pixel strings are spread out across a wider area or longer distance
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
I do as Pixlepuppy stated. I use the F16 mounted at the base of the tree with power injection and use an expansion board with differential receivers for the outlying props. I will be using the F48 this year for the roof and window outlines because of the distance those will require and it will allow me to put the power where I need it.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
I am building a mega RGB tree with infused power all around the base.  With this F48 Pixel controller, what card would be best to supply the needed data signal, or should I use the F16V3.

When many pixels strings are in close proximity, (like with a pixel tree or pixel matrix) then the F16 controller (with 16+ local string ports) makes more sense.  The F48 is more appropriate when pixel strings are spread out across a wider area or longer distance
I do as Pixlepuppy stated. I use the F16 mounted at the base of the tree with power injection and use an expansion board with differential receivers for the outlying props. I will be using the F48 this year for the roof and window outlines because of the distance those will require and it will allow me to put the power where I need it.

That is what I will try and design, Thank you Todd and pixelpuppy.