Author Topic: 2.0 Installs on a PC / Mac  (Read 441 times)

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
2.0 Installs on a PC / Mac
« on: May 20, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
I recall doing the survey a few months back and it asked whether we'd like support for more platforms other than Pi and BBB.  I know that doesn't guarantee any effort has been put into this but if there is a somewhat simple and fairly supported way to install 2.0 on a PC / Mac I'd definitely be interested in providing testing and feedback on it.  In case you're wondering why I'm interested in this setup it's fairly simple.  I don't want to have to run 3 or more Pi's in order to distribute processing load...also...running on a laptop allows me to sustain power even throughout a power outage or blip.  Overall, it makes things more simple for me and I'd love to use it if possible.  So if there is a way and the steps are listed anywhere, please direct me to them and I'll start testing tonight.  Thank you!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 48
Re: 2.0 Installs on a PC / Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
What is wrong with using xschedule from xlights?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the flexibility of FPP over xSchedule.  The plugins options and abilities alone make it worthwhile.  If I could run FPP on my Laptop it would definitely be ideal for me :)

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
I'm not sure if this would ever work, but would you be able to run a virtual PC on your laptop and run it that way? I've never tried or seen anyone else try so I'm not sure it'd even be possible since FPP is written for Pi and BBB.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I'm not sure if this would ever work, but would you be able to run a virtual PC on your laptop and run it that way? I've never tried or seen anyone else try so I'm not sure it'd even be possible since FPP is written for Pi and BBB.
Sorry, not quite sure what value that would add.  There would still be a requirement for a base OS for FPP to run on top of.  This would just add a hypervisor layer, but that isn't really needed since I can install the slimmed down base OS straight on to the PC and install FPP on top of that...which is all that is running on a Pi or BBB.  FPP is just the app and when bundled with the base OS becomes an appliance...would be the same virtual PC, Pi/BBB, PC, Mac or otherwise.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 28
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:04:49 PM »
Much of the networking code in FPP would require a relatively recent Linux.   It uses the sendmmsg call and recvmmsg call which are Linux specific.  Thus, it definitely would have to be within some sort of VM running on Mac or Linux.   A docker container could be created, but, to be honest, creating that and maintaining it would likely be much more effort than is likely justified.

Getting it to build/run on most modern Linux distributions is likely not a hug deal.   So Linux on a PC is likely a yes.  Mac or Windows native, likely a no.
Dan Kulp

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
Much of the networking code in FPP would require a relatively recent Linux.   It uses the sendmmsg call and recvmmsg call which are Linux specific.  Thus, it definitely would have to be within some sort of VM running on Mac or Linux.   A docker container could be created, but, to be honest, creating that and maintaining it would likely be much more effort than is likely justified.

Getting it to build/run on most modern Linux distributions is likely not a hug deal.   So Linux on a PC is likely a yes.  Mac or Windows native, likely a no.

I agree Dan!  Ideally, I'd like to run it on my PC Laptop, install the recommended Debian version and install it as a package (APT).  I'm ok running an install script though, or even more manually compiling from source with dependency instructions.  Either way, I'd be happy to test this out if something remotely close to that exists.

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 01:04:38 PM »

I agree Dan!  Ideally, I'd like to run it on my PC Laptop, install the recommended Debian version and install it as a package (APT).  I'm ok running an install script though, or even more manually compiling from source with dependency instructions.  Either way, I'd be happy to test this out if something remotely close to that exists.

Hmm. Thats a very interesting idea. I have a Debian box running here all the time ;D ... Now if I could just get some more free time to fiddle, I'd be all over that.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
I know Chris (CaptainMurdoch) had some rough steps on how to do this from a barebones debian linux install and I mainly started this thread to see if there had been any improvements to those since the delivery of 2.0 beta.  Something I can follow and start testing.  I'd even be willing to create documentation so others can do the same if they prefer to install on a PC running debian linux.  I haven't seen Chris around recently in the forums...maybe he's on vacation.  Either way, would be happy to test this option out and document once I know for sure.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 28
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »

If you have a barebones debian stretch 9.x, you could try grabbing the FPP_Install.sh file from: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/tree/master/SD

and running that as root.   In theory, that should be close.   Feel free to create pull requests with updates that may be necessary.

Offline kockie

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
I tried to build an esx-i image. It seems to work. Someone wanna try it? Send me a pm and i will send a download link.
Errors above are made for entertaining readers only

English is not my native language.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »

If you have a barebones debian stretch 9.x, you could try grabbing the FPP_Install.sh file from: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/tree/master/SD

and running that as root.   In theory, that should be close.   Feel free to create pull requests with updates that may be necessary.

Thanks Dan.  I went ahead and did a clean barebones stretch install and used the FPP Install Script.  Everything looks ok with the exception of the Network Screen.  Screenshot attached along with logs.  I haven't had a chance to actually test if all parts are functioning yet.  I will try to get to that this weekend.  Thanks!

Nathan

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:52 PM »
For ESXI - I have been running FPP in a virtual machine for over 2 years. REcently the ability to use the BBB / LINSN/Colorlight boards through the network adapters is working. I ran my show 1/2 on ESXI and 1/2 on PI 3. Works great. I had the hardware running so i used it
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »
For ESXI - I have been running FPP in a virtual machine for over 2 years. REcently the ability to use the BBB / LINSN/Colorlight boards through the network adapters is working. I ran my show 1/2 on ESXI and 1/2 on PI 3. Works great. I had the hardware running so i used it

Ben, have you been running 2.0 on ESXI as well?  Any strangeness with interfaces showing in the network screen, like I'm seeing?  Thanks!