Author Topic: so I know that on the Falcon Pi Cap I cant run media and seq Can I on my Pi  (Read 258 times)

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 0
Hello I know for sure that I can't run mp3s for shows from the Pi cap while using it for sequences, but can I run both mp3s and sequences from my Ras Pi that is sending data to my falcon F4v3. If so what do I need to add to my Pi in order to allow passersby to hear that music when they spectate my lights shows. I might only want to run it to small speakers, I am trying to be very considerate in not interfering with the fm signal that law enforcement may be using in the facility that is a half a block away.

Anybody have this running both please let me know how and what else I would need.

Thanks Kryptic

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 1
    • Newburgh Lights
Trust me with this one.  Running a low power (part 15) FM for your light show will NOT interfere or bother the police down the street.  BTW, I run a public safety radio system for a living.
Jim

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
I run a FM transmitter capable of transmitting @ 1 mile away if I would choose. I have it set to transmit about two city blocks and have never had any issues. Although it does overtake just about any other FM I have in the house no matter what channel. But once you get 50' or so away other FM devices work fine.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 8
I believe the question was does anyone pipe the music outside for people passing by. Speaking for myself, I transmit on an EDM transmitter and split the output to an amp that runs 2 outdoor speakers.

For Halloween I only run the outdoor speakers on Halloween night because thats when you get all the foot traffic.
For Christmas (in Wisconsin) I sometimes play the outdoor speakers low enough that if you are standing in from of the house on the sidewalk you can hear it. But it's winter so my neighbors windows are closed.

Hope that helps
Pat

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
I have four permanently installed speakers similar to these:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tic-omnispeaker-gs3-outdoor-speaker-8ohm-surface-mount-green/3420393.p?skuId=3420393
They are driven by a pair of 75 watt per channel stereo amplifiers.

For Halloween evening, I have the speakers in the yard running, but the FM transmitter is not set up.  For Christmas, I have the FM transmitter running Christmas music during all non-show hours.  The yard speakers are turned on starting an hour before my show starts and stay on until 9:00 PM and then goes off.  The speakers are just loud enough that you can hear them fine if you are on the sidewalk in front of my house, but none of the neighbors can hear it if they are inside and only the two next door neighbors can barely hear it if they are in their front yard.  BTW, my neighbor across the street routinely listens to the FM.

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 0
Trust me with this one.  Running a low power (part 15) FM for your light show will NOT interfere or bother the police down the street.  BTW, I run a public safety radio system for a living.

Thanks for the info were do I get that 15 FM Transmitter at and is it usb or does it plug into the 3.5 mm Audio out jack.

Thanks to all for the help thus far

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
The "15" refers to the FCC "Part 15" that governs how much "power" a radio can put out and how far it can transmit (generally).
The actual transmitter you want will be low power and capable of being kept within the limits of the part 15 rules or at the very least pretty close to it.

Search for EDM, Whole House, and Ramsey transmitters for some.  There are also very cheap FM transmitter boards that a lot of people use that work quite well from my understanding.  I personally have an EDM unit and love the thing but the new low cost boards are certainly a good way to have a transmitter for little money and to use with a light show.

The unit you end up with will determine what the input will be whether USB or the 3.5 jack (pretty much).

Just another part of the puzzle with making your display!