Author Topic: Distance between controller and 1st pixel with F-Amp?  (Read 183 times)

Offline DrewDennis

• Kudos: 0
Distance between controller and 1st pixel with F-Amp?
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »
Can anyone tell me the rough distance between the controller and first pixel if I am using an F-Amp at the controller?   Thanks!

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
Re: Distance between controller and 1st pixel with F-Amp?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me the rough distance between the controller and first pixel if I am using an F-Amp at the controller?   Thanks!
What type of controller?  Most modern controllers like the F16v3 you can go about 20 feet with the right gauge wire to the first pixel.  If you were to insert an F-Amp or uAmp at this point I've seen up to 70 to 75 feet and you could possibly get more...this number will vary based on wire gauge like I mentioned, I use 18, and other factors like temperature, interference...etc.  Just an experiment at that point to see what you can get.

Offline DrewDennis

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
I'll be using an f48. Ordering it tonight. I am still learning what I am doing, but that seemed like the most flexible / logical controller to choose.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
The F48 is a differential sender.  The signal between the F48 and the required receivers is NOT SPI, it is RS485.  The micro_amp and f_amp don't apply  to it.

The signal between the receiver and the pixels IS SPI, so if you are having to extend from the receiver out - have a go.