Author Topic: Distance between [F48] controller and 1st pixel with F-Amp?  (Read 892 times)

Offline DrewDennis

• Kudos: 0
Can anyone tell me the rough distance between the controller and first pixel if I am using an F-Amp at the controller?   Thanks!

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
Re: Distance between controller and 1st pixel with F-Amp?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me the rough distance between the controller and first pixel if I am using an F-Amp at the controller?   Thanks!
What type of controller?  Most modern controllers like the F16v3 you can go about 20 feet with the right gauge wire to the first pixel.  If you were to insert an F-Amp or uAmp at this point I've seen up to 70 to 75 feet and you could possibly get more...this number will vary based on wire gauge like I mentioned, I use 18, and other factors like temperature, interference...etc.  Just an experiment at that point to see what you can get.

Offline DrewDennis

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
I'll be using an f48. Ordering it tonight. I am still learning what I am doing, but that seemed like the most flexible / logical controller to choose.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
The F48 is a differential sender.  The signal between the F48 and the required receivers is NOT SPI, it is RS485.  The micro_amp and f_amp don't apply  to it.

The signal between the receiver and the pixels IS SPI, so if you are having to extend from the receiver out - have a go.

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Keebler

• Kudos: 1
    • Keebler Christmas
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:43 AM »
so what is the effective range using the f48?
if the f-amps are only good for the f16v2/3, what can be done to extend the distance of the f48 if the distance is not that great?

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
250 ft to your differential receiver board. an f-amp would go between diff board and pixels
https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
I don't think putting the F-amp right at the controller is really the intended usage.  It works, but is not the best usage.  Its not normally intended for use with the F48 which is a Differential Sender, but can be used with the Differential Receiver.
The F-amp is an IN-LINE amplifier and should typically be used somewhere in the middle of a cable run to extend the distance of the SPI signal (not the Differential RS485 signal).
It can be used to extend distance to first pixel beyond the 20ft that the controller (or receiver) can normally push on the pixel ports.
Or it can be used to extend the distance between pixels which is typically only 5ft or less. (when you want to daisy-chain multiple props together).

For extending distance to first pixel:
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-Pixel String
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-Pixel String
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-Pixel String

For extending distance between pixels:
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-Pixel String->---up to 5ft cable--->-Pixel String
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-Pixel String->---up to 5ft cable--->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-Pixel String
Controller or Receiver String Port ->-----up to 20ft cable----->-Pixel String->---up to 5ft cable--->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-F-Amp->-----up to 50ft cable----->-Pixel String

Note: the distances shown are approximations.  Your actual distance will vary depending on the type and quality of the cable used.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:59:15 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline giantstogie

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:34:56 AM »
this helps a bunch. What type of cable should I use?  18g, 16g, 14g?

Offline LOUIS

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:29 AM »
Hi

I read the pixelpuppy's last post on distance between controller and the first pixel (20ft), I notice they are far under what I did practice last year for 10 minitreess of 70 pixels each separated by 4 feet, to feed the first  I had a 2cables 18AWG (ground and data, I power supply all my display locally)this cable is 42ft long without any nul pixel or other device, and after many tests that seems to be the maximum I can put with a longer cable the pixels don't work correctly

Regard from France, to all of you who will read this post

Alain

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »
I read the pixelpuppy's last post on distance between controller and the first pixel (20ft), I notice they are far under what I did practice last year

My intention was to show WHERE the F-amp should go in the pixel strings, not to define the maximum distances.

Offline MrTeaIOT

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:52:28 AM »
I use RJ45 cat6 cable and get to 100ft from F16V3 board then l put FAmp to my first pixel strips with separate power supply and it works great..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk