Author Topic: New v2.0 BBB image  (Read 394 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 46
New v2.0 BBB image
« on: June 06, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »

I just uploaded a new BBB image to http://dankulp.com/bbb/ .   This isn't a "super required" update, but if you are setting up new devices, I'd recommend using it instead.    The main changes:

1) Based of debian 9.4 console image instead of the 9.3 IoT image.   The result is that it's about 150MB smaller.   

2) Using the "bone" kernel instead of the "ti" kernel.  This kernel is a bit more optimized for the BBB.  In particular, it's not an SMP kernel since the BBB's only have a single core.   

3) Updated to latest FPP code - the first boot on the older image will take a LONG LONG time due to all the FPP updates needing to be recompiled.  This now has all the latest as of today to the first boot should be quicker which is why I'd recommend this for newer setups.

Dan Kulp

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 5
Re: New v2.0 BBB image
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
Is this also what you would recommend for the pocket Beagle?  I am finally to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
Is this also what you would recommend for the pocket Beagle?  I am finally to that point.

Yep.  All the Beagle based things.  :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 103
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
good timing since the Pocket Beagle arrived today.

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »
Dan thank you for the continued work.  Had to drop to my backup BBB last season when the first one just locked up tight.

I'm a little rusty on the install for these to the EMC memory.  Do I need to hook up the USB and get at it from a PC or can I drop the code on the SD card and hold a button on the locked up BBB and let it go on it's own?

Alan

Offline dkulp

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »
Dan thank you for the continued work.  Had to drop to my backup BBB last season when the first one just locked up tight.

I'm a little rusty on the install for these to the EMC memory.  Do I need to hook up the USB and get at it from a PC or can I drop the code on the SD card and hold a button on the locked up BBB and let it go on it's own?

If you had installed one of my images from last year, just insert the SD card and boot.   If it's still on the older images, you will need to hold down the button the first time.   It should then boot up right into FPP.  If an ethernet is attached, it should grab an IP via dhcp.   

If you don't have an ethernet (need to configure wifi), you'll need to connect it to your computer via USB to power it the first time and point your browser at 192.168.6.2 (Linux/Mac) or 192.168.7.2(Windows) and configure the wifi. 

If you want to flash it to the eMMC, then goto the FPP settings page, click the Advanced Settings button, and there should be a flash to eMMC button there.   

Offline bucknut

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
Disregard.  A second attempt flashed it just fine, not sure what happened the first time...

I'm having a bit of trouble flashing the emmc.  I copied downloaded and unzipped the image from http://dankulp.com/bbb/FPP-v2.0-Alpha-BBB-20180425.zip .

I used etcher to create the image on the micro SD card.

I held the S2 button while booting up the bbb and was able to get to the settings to flash the emmc.

However, the log stops with... (see below - I can't seem to make it read line by line it just makes it single line across the page on here)

The lights are still flashing and it never powered down.  Do I attempt a re-flash?  Is my image corrupt and I need to do something different with the zip file and etcher?  First time with a bbb or even a pi, brand new to this side of things...
 sent 2,022,202,351 bytes  received 1,556,849 bytes  1,413,733.29 bytes/sec total size is 2,017,246,025  speedup is 1.00 rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1196) [sender=3.1.2] real   23m50.930s user   1m13.361s sys   3m42.283s
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:21:51 AM by bucknut »