individual Snowflakes, Stars and Candycanes

Author Topic: individual Snowflakes, Stars and Candycanes  (Read 493 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
individual Snowflakes, Stars and Candycanes
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »
Creating various Snowflakes, Stars, and Candycanes with RGB.  Looking for an enclosure tha would be best to mount a RaspberryPi and a 4amp 12V Laptop Power Supply. smaller the better. 

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
Re: individual Snowflakes, Stars and Candycanes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:03:39 AM »
Cg500
small bud box
6"x4" junction box
Tupperware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
I use marine battery boxes.  Here is an F16v2 and Pi with two power supplies underneath.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Hey Jim,

How water tight are the Marine Battery Boxes. They definitely are more affordable then the CG1500 cases I am using now. Plan on making a bunch to house an ESPixelStick and a power supply to run some of our display items in the cul-de-sac. You don't happen to have a picture of one of them with the lid on and the pigtails sticking out do you?

Your other post on mounting with all the photos certainly helped. (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4789.15.html) Just missing the final piece on how the whole thing closes with the pigtails before I get a few of them.

Thanks,
Richard

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
Make sure to check the cover of the battery boxes.  A lot of them have a small vent or two on the top (generally looks like a tiny drain grate molded into the plastic).  The marine boxes usually don't, but make sure to look for it before buying!
Using LOR for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
Hey Jim,

How water tight are the Marine Battery Boxes. They definitely are more affordable then the CG1500 cases I am using now. Plan on making a bunch to house an ESPixelStick and a power supply to run some of our display items in the cul-de-sac. You don't happen to have a picture of one of them with the lid on and the pigtails sticking out do you?

Your other post on mounting with all the photos certainly helped. (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4789.15.html) Just missing the final piece on how the whole thing closes with the pigtails before I get a few of them.

Thanks,
Richard

CG1500's are just slightly more than battery boxes. I get CG1500's from DF Countryman for $12.00 and CG500's for $8.50.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
The problem with the CG1500 is shipping. To get 15 or so CG1500s is like $150 on shipping and tax bringing the cost to around $20. Where I can get the battery box for about $9 on amazon shipped free, and walk in to my local Walmart or Academy and pick them up for $9+tax. And while I love the CG1500s for their versatility, the battery boxes when making a bunch of them seem much cheaper even if they do involve a little more work to get ready.

Now I could just drive the 90 minutes to and from dfcountryman but finding the time to do that when they are open is just as hard, not to mention if they have it in stock in the quantity I want. And I don't think the CG500 can hold a 350 watt power supply but I may be mistaken. And I realize the original poster was asking about housing a 4 amp (48w) power supply. I figured I would try and get as much information on the battery boxes so I can figure stuff out this summer while I do have some time.

Sorry if this came out harsher then I intended.

Thanks,
Richard

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »
I have been using battery boxes for over 5 years.  I've only had a small amount of water get in a couple of times when the wind was really blowing hard.  I keep my power supplies at least an inch off the bottom just in case but never got more than a little in one end (the ground was slanted).  I seal the vents on top by covering them inside and out using a hot stick glue gun.  The one thing I have changed is to use longer pigtails as the shorter ones would jam up around the 4 openings that let cables out.  I have had pigtails for all 16 ouputs of an F16 plus a 12ga power cord going in with no issues what so ever.  I have no pictures of one with cables coming out, but I could dig one out of storage and take a picture if you need it.

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »
I have been using battery boxes for over 5 years.  I've only had a small amount of water get in a couple of times when the wind was really blowing hard.  I keep my power supplies at least an inch off the bottom just in case but never got more than a little in one end (the ground was slanted).

Suggestion.  Drill a small weep hole in one corner of the bottom and intentionally slope the box towards that corner.  That way any moisture that gets in will sweep out.  If bugs are a problem cover the weep hole with screen or cloth.  Yes, you would still want to keep the power supply raised up as you already do.

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
Just picked up a couple of these at Academy for $7 Attwood Series 24 Battery Box. Now that I see the lid it makes perfect sense on how the pigtails come out of the box.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
The problem with the CG1500 is shipping. To get 15 or so CG1500s is like $150 on shipping and tax bringing the cost to around $20. Where I can get the battery box for about $9 on amazon shipped free, and walk in to my local Walmart or Academy and pick them up for $9+tax. And while I love the CG1500s for their versatility, the battery boxes when making a bunch of them seem much cheaper even if they do involve a little more work to get ready.

Now I could just drive the 90 minutes to and from dfcountryman but finding the time to do that when they are open is just as hard, not to mention if they have it in stock in the quantity I want. And I don't think the CG500 can hold a 350 watt power supply but I may be mistaken. And I realize the original poster was asking about housing a 4 amp (48w) power supply. I figured I would try and get as much information on the battery boxes so I can figure stuff out this summer while I do have some time.

Sorry if this came out harsher then I intended.

Thanks,
Richard
You are correct a CG500 will not hold a 350 watt power supply. Maybe it's where I live, but I have ordered from them with minimal shipping charges.

Offline rjhodgefamily

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
Yeah I think it is just the number I wanted. If I order 2 or 3 the shipping isn't bad but if I increase to say the 19 I ideally need then shipping goes crazy. Probably because of the giant box. If the battery boxes don't work as we want I'll just drive down to San Antonio to pick them up.