Author Topic: Corrupt SD Cards  (Read 255 times)

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
Corrupt SD Cards
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:57:28 AM »
Hello everyone. I have an ongoing issue with corrupting SD cards I use for the FPP's. It seems they are so sensitive, they are constantly becoming corrupt and I cannot fix them, I end up buying a new card and start from scratch. This problem happens constantly and now that I am digging the boards out to begin this year's setup (updates, new hardware testing, etc.) I haven't found a card that hasn't been corrupt.

I'm just wondering if others have this issue and if there's a way to fix it. Occasionally a Pi will loose power (thus didn't shut down correctly) and that causes the issue almost every time. Below are the SD's that I buy. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-High-Capacity-microSDHC/dp/B00488G6P8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485679492&sr=8-2&keywords=8+gb+micro+sd

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 51
Re: Corrupt SD Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
Are you saving the data files to the SD or to a USB drive?  I ran 10 Pi remotes last year always using a USB drive.  And I never lost an SD card for any reason and I will just pull power without doing a shutdown if I need to, but I always make sure no lights are lit or seq or test running.  I only use name brand 16gb SD cards and 16gb USB drives.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »
For my Beaglebones, I ONLY use the SanDisk Ultra's (16G or 32GB) and have never corrupted a single one.  I store the sequences and OS and everything on them. 
Dan Kulp

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
I've corrupted many of OS pulling plug while FPP was writing to SD, but never corrupted a single SanDisk microSD, however, like Dan, I use 16's & 32's Class 10 or better.  (biggest problem was saying I was shutting down, but pulling power before shutdown was complete)

Not sure you should have problems with your 8GB Class 4's unless they are counterfeit.

FPP shouldn't damage the mSD - What Format software are you using . . . I only use SDFormatter...it's free.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »
I've corrupted many of OS pulling plug while FPP was writing to SD, but never corrupted a single SanDisk microSD, however, like Dan, I use 16's & 32's Class 10 or better.  (biggest problem was saying I was shutting down, but pulling power before shutdown was complete)

Not sure you should have problems with your 8GB Class 4's unless they are counterfeit.

FPP shouldn't damage the mSD - What Format software are you using . . . I only use SDFormatter...it's free.

I have all of my show data on a USB drive.

I've always SDFormatter as well. Maybe these are counterfeit? I might try using 16 gb Class 10, maybe that could be the problem.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 05:40:44 AM »
I had similar issues the first year despite having the files on the USB but using the same disk you showed.  I switched to the Sandisk ultra like Dan and have had zero problems so far.  I have also pulled the plug without shutdown like Jim if I know nothing should be running. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
I had similar issues the first year despite having the files on the USB but using the same disk you showed.  I switched to the Sandisk ultra like Dan and have had zero problems so far.  I have also pulled the plug without shutdown like Jim if I know nothing should be running. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found some 16 GB MircoSD Class 10 cards (link below). I'm thinking these might be my best option. They are the Ultra as you have mentioned, and the vendor is SanDisk so counterfeit won't be an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073K14CVB?tag=price15595-20&ascsubtag=wtbs_5b1c4583d7bf0d7547fbdcdf