Author Topic: Warm to Hot Flash Drive on RasPi3B  (Read 265 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 103
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Warm to Hot Flash Drive on RasPi3B
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
On a RasPi3B that I've been having odd problems with (Falcon PiCap installed and output enabled), I've noticed that the USB flash drive (SanDisk 8gb, mini, formatted FAT32) is very warm to hot. It was selected for storage and, because of problems with stability, I had logging pretty much maxed.

I was wondering if those of you with similar setups (RasPi3B using USB Flash for storage, with or without PiCap) could "touch" your flash drive and report if it is cool, warm, hot and what level of logging you have.

Currently, I switched it back to using the uSD card (32gb, so lots of room) and it is NOT getting warm and it hasn't gone offline yet. In a prior thread, this is the RasPi that may have been having low Power issues from the PiCap's power supply. Now I'm wondering if that flash drive was the power draw. (power = heat)

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: Warm to Hot Flash Drive on RasPi3B
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
Well, I was going to try to help test this, by connecting to the Pi 3B that has my P10 panel connected via a ColorLight.  It is conveniently powered up and on the LAN.  However if I understand where to change the storage setting - Status/Control  FPP Settings > External Storage Device, it shows the USB has 3.66 GB of free space, but is shown as not mounted.  I assume that means it wont work.  I don't speak Pi well enough to know how to mount it so I can select it.  If I get that answer, I can test it.  Note that although I can remotely access the Pi to change settings, I wont be home to check the temperature until late this evening.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
I had it happen with a SanDisk SD card.  Almost too hot to touch!  I contacted SanDisk and they sent me a replacement (that does not get hot)
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Jojoed

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
This is kinda off topic but Ive had similar issues with my pi hat and pi getting extremely hot where it plugs in the micro USB port is this normal? I havent left it plugged in long enough to see if it cools down after booting for fear of frying my pi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
This is kinda off topic but Ive had similar issues with my pi hat and pi getting extremely hot where it plugs in the micro USB port is this normal? I havent left it plugged in long enough to see if it cools down after booting for fear of frying my pi
Not normal.  I will reply in your other post.