Author Topic: Differential Receiver - Pixels per port  (Read 232 times)

Offline Camphouse

• Kudos: 0
Differential Receiver - Pixels per port
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »
Newbie with Falcon controllers and have a question - Have a F16v3 when an expansion board and 4 receiver boards. My question is regarding the number of pixels per port on the receiver board. I have 8 mini trees with 100 pixels per tree - 800 pixels total - 2400 channels. From everything I've read I should be able to put up to 3 strings on one port (340 per port).

So could I run all 8 strings on one board - 2 100 strings per port?
And should I be able to run all 8 100 pixel strings from one 350 watt power supply?

Thanks,
Chester

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 17
Re: Differential Receiver - Pixels per port
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
From everything I've read I should be able to put up to 3 strings on one port (340 per port).
From a data perspective, yes.  You can run up to 1023 pixels per expansion port ... IF... you limit the main board to just 1 pixel per port.   More typical would be to split it 50/50 which is 512 pixels per port for main board and expansion board.  The split is adjustable to suit your needs.

So could I run all 8 strings on one board - 2 100 strings per port?
From a data perspective, yes.  From a power perspective you will need to power inject if you intend to run 100% brightness.

And should I be able to run all 8 100 pixel strings from one 350 watt power supply?
Yes ... IF .... you don't run them at 100% brightness.  A lot of us run at 50% and find it to be plenty bright, and 50% brightness means you only need 50% of the power.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks PixelPuppy - That answers my questions. Never thought about dimming the lights - good advice.

Offline Camphouse

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
So I have a couple of questions:

8 RGB Mini Trees - 100 pixels per tree - distance from Differential Receiver max. 10-12 ft. - 350 w power supply.
Would you think I need power injection for this?

8 RGB Snwoflakes - 50 pixels each - max distance from Differential Receiver 10-12 ft. - Distance between flakes 2-3 ft.
Can I daisy flake 1 to 2 - 3 to 4 - etc and just use one board?
In Falcon software how would I set these up? Can each have it's own universe? How would I put in the second 50 pixel set?

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
So I have a couple of questions:

8 RGB Mini Trees - 100 pixels per tree - distance from Differential Receiver max. 10-12 ft. - 350 w power supply.
Would you think I need power injection for this?

8 RGB Snwoflakes - 50 pixels each - max distance from Differential Receiver 10-12 ft. - Distance between flakes 2-3 ft.
Can I daisy flake 1 to 2 - 3 to 4 - etc and just use one board?
In Falcon software how would I set these up? Can each have it's own universe? How would I put in the second 50 pixel set?

If daisy chaining each of the trees you would need to power inject. If running each tree on its own port you should not need to inject power.
Depending on the distance from the receiver to the lights I can run about 200 12v pixels before I need to inject power. Some of my strings have 6 inch spacing and and some have 3. The ones that have 3 I am able to run more pixels without injecting. I always do some testing to see what I can and cannot do. Remember if you run your ports at 100% power you will get less distance and will have more issues when it comes to how many pixels you can run before injecting. My first year I ran everything at 100%. I later added a lot more pixels and turned everything down to 50%. They are still plenty bright enough and it gives me more options.