Author Topic: WiFi adapter  (Read 275 times)

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
WiFi adapter
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:21:23 AM »
I am new to the Beaglebone black. If I want to use Wifi will I need to use a wifi adapter on the Beaglebone? I have the Beaglebone running my P10 matrix with no issues. I just purchased the Beaglebone from DIYledexpress and thought that maybe it came with a wifi chip in it but when I look for the wlan settings under networks in Falcon pi player it is not there. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Please advise. Thanks

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
Re: WiFi adapter
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:35:17 AM »
Yes you need a USB wifi adapter to have wireless.  Many have used the Edimax adapters and I have seen the Panda adapters also recommended by dkulp who is the dev for the Beagles.  I have 2 different Panda ones that I haven't had time to test yet.  I would stick with one on the raspberry Pi list that works with a Pi.
https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 46
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:47:38 AM »
Technically it depends on the Beaglebone...   The normal Beaglebone Black does not have wifi built in.    Neither does the Beaglebone Green.   There is a Beaglebone Black Wireless that does have wifi built in and is quite usable, but there isn't wired ethernet.    It does work for our controllers and such though.

The Beaglebone Green Wireless also has built in wifi, but it consumes a bunch of GPIO's and is thus not usable for driving P# panels.   Not recommended.  Don't get one.

The SanDisk Beaglebone Enhanced also has built in wifi, but I've had issues getting it to work.   Some kernels it works, some it doesn't.   No idea why.   

The PocketBeagle doesn't have any sort of networking built in at all, wifi or wired.

Dan Kulp

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:55:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses. Am I to assume the beaglebone will need to be configured to work with wifi? Any steps to get me started if so? Thanks

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 06:01:57 AM »
Also what about going wireless? I may be getting the 2 mixed up. I am not a computer geek by any means. When I go to network settings in falcon pi i am not seeing the option for wlan. I only have the beaglebone hooked up to my laptop with cat5 but my laptop does have internet connection. If I remember correctly wlan was available when I had the usb cable hooked to the beaglebone and maybe that is the whole reason I am not seeing wlan option anymore. Would this be the case? Sorry for all the silly questions. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:16:52 AM by ebrown19721972 »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 96
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »
If you dont have a wireless adapter in USB, it won't show settings for wlan0.

Beaglebone Black has a problem with the mini wireless (Edimax) that is fixed with a short USB extension cable. Interference.

The Green does not have that problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:07:50 AM »
The issue is the HDMI interferes with the WiFi on the BBB - BBG does not have a HDMI port.
Use the extension cable to locate the EDIMAX away from the HDMI Port.  I use 1 foot cables, but a 1m cable worked til I got my 1 foot unit.

Offline ebrown19721972

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
I have about 3 wifi adapters laying around. I will give them a shot and if they do not work I will order one. I will use an extension cable too and already have one of those. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.