Xlights running on Raspberry Pi

Author Topic: Xlights running on Raspberry Pi  (Read 417 times)

Offline skulltronix

• Kudos: 0
Xlights running on Raspberry Pi
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Hi, I remember seeing someone was running xlights directly on a Pi.  Is there a .img file available? Thx

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
Re: Xlights running on Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

There is a build of 2018.9 for arm at:

http://dankulp.com/xlights/

I haven't updated it lately.  Haven't had the time.
Dan Kulp

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »
Hmm. Could not figure out which file you were suggesting.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
Hmm. Could not figure out which file you were suggesting.

xLights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz 

Offline dhollida55

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
I am a newbie when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, the Falcon Player, and Xlights.  For hardware I have the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.  I've been trying to get the Falcon Player loaded on it.  If anyone could give advice on this that would be great.  Once I get the Falcon Player installed then I'd like to load Xlights on it to run my sequences. I got the file xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.  How do I install it on the Pi?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
I am a newbie when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, the Falcon Player, and Xlights.  For hardware I have the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.  I've been trying to get the Falcon Player loaded on it.  If anyone could give advice on this that would be great.  Once I get the Falcon Player installed then I'd like to load Xlights on it to run my sequences. I got the file xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.  How do I install it on the Pi?

The two are incompatible...   It's one or the other.   If you are planning on using FPP to run your show, install that.   That's likely the preferred way to do it.  If you want to use xLights/xScheduler to run the show on the Pi, install the normal Debian Pi desktop image with full UI and then use xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

For a newbie, I would suggest you NOT try running xLights on the Raspberry Pi.  xLights is a "sequencer" and FPP is a "player". Most people do sequencing on PC or MAC.  There is a linux version that can run on a Pi but that's probably not a good place to start if you are new to all this.

The typical scenario is to run xLights on a desktop or laptop computer to do all your "sequencing".   After the sequence is created, tested, and saved, then you need a "player" to play the sequence on your lights (usually based on a day/time schedule).  The common sequence players are xSchedule and FPP ("FPP"=Falcon Pi Player).   If you want to use a desktop or laptop computer to be your "show player" then you'll want to look into xSchedule.  If you want to use a Raspberry Pi as your show player then thats what FPP software is for.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dhollida55

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.  I understand how it works now.  Currently I have my sequences developed in LOR.  I have some updating to do on them.  Then I understand that I use Xlights on my laptop to convert the LOR files to Xlights and copy them over to the Raspberry Pi and run them with the Falcon Player.