Author Topic: Novice power question  (Read 325 times)

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
Novice power question
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
This seems like a really dumb question for me to be asking, but here it goes....

I currently have a 350W PS supplying each bank of 8 ports on my F16v1.  I'm currently running 1200 pixels (100/strand/port).  I'm looking to add 120pixel flakes on 2 of the 4 open ports and realize I'll need more power.  I have an extra 350W supply. 

Can I simply wire up a third power supply as drawn below?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
Re: Novice power question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
Not with those power supplies.  IF they were batteries, yes.   IF they were higher end (server) power supplies that support load sharing, yes.  But those look like typical meanwell or meanwell-knockoffs and neither of those type support load sharing.

With that said, I run similar setups with only two power supplies (F16's with one 350w PS per bank).  If you don't run the lights at 100% then you don't need all that power.  I set mine to 80% MAX and typically even less.  My low density props (like roofline and windows with 4"-6" spacing) are set at 75%, and higher density props (like megatrees and matrices with 1"-2" spacing)are set at 50%.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:15:23 AM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
I echo PixelPuppy comments.  I now run nothing (P5 Panels included) higher than 80% and I don't notice any difference.  And with the substantial power reduction you would think you can see it, but unless you do a barriered side-by-side comparison, you can't tell.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
I used a megatree to test power injection.  Was using a Falcon F16v2.  I changed one output of four (each with 4 strands) on the tree to 50% and no one could tell me which fourth of the tree I had changed.  Dropped it to 40%, then 30% and still hard to see any difference.  Below 30% it becomes noticeable.  Now I run both of my mega trees at 30%, other high density props like a matrix also at 30% and low density props like arches at 50%.  Everything llooks great, the lights video and photo better, I am using lots less power, and I am not lighting up the house across the street so bright.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5