Author Topic: lagging  (Read 407 times)

Offline dgbcoleman

• Kudos: 0
lagging
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:56:31 PM »
Hi everyone, I am having some trouble getting the pi to run my show smoothly. It keeps lagging behind and then catching up again.  It's almost like the pi isn't powerful enough to run my show.  Any ideas?

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
Re: lagging
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
What is the Pi talking to....not likely the Pi, Or Pi alone......tell us more about your setup.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 92
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
Your symptom sounds like you are Outputting E1.31 Unicast but not all of your "target" devices are online and powered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline dgbcoleman

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »
Here is my setup:  The pi is connected to five lightorama controllers.  It is also connected to an fm transmitter and a router.  The router is so that I can connect my laptop wirelessly to the pi.  I had this same lagging issue when I had just 16 channels.  I plugged the controllers into my laptop and tested a sequence, the lights ran perfectly smooth.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
I have experienced the same issue when running multicast.  Change to Unicast and click off active on all unconnected IP addresses and I run fine.

Jon, I haven't tested, but was told Unicast ativity selection issue was corrected.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 92
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »

Jon, I haven't tested, but was told Unicast ativity selection issue was corrected.

They didn't specify what version they were running. Only the recent updates check for ARP traffic to fix this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline dgbcoleman

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
That fixed the lagging problem but the lights flicker a little bit when they fade.  They don't flicker when I run the lights from my pc.  Is this normal?

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
If I have Vixen running and run FPP, I will get flickering.  If you are not running n bridge mode, shut down the sequencer and see f it still happens.

Offline dgbcoleman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
I forgot to change to unicast.  Would you please tell me how to do that?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
I forgot to change to unicast.  Would you please tell me how to do that?

This is for E1.31 and it sounds like you are using the LOR protocol.  Are you using E1.31 or LOR serial output?  If you are getting lag or odd fades when using the LOR protocol, it sounds like you may be sending more data than the simple version of the protocol will allow.  Gil made an enhancement to xLights to allow it to send out the optimized LOR commands which currently allows xLights to control more LOR channels than FPP can.  I haven't had a chance to look at the protocol changes, but did save a bunch of the info he posted when reverse engineering the protocol, so that I can use that and the xLights code to port the optimizations to FPP's LOR Channel Output.  I don't know if you will see that in a FPP release this year though.  If you are using the LOR protocol, have you tried using DMX instead to talk to your LOR controllers?
-
Chris