Author Topic: New v2.0 images - 20180709  (Read 347 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
New v2.0 images - 20180709
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

I just uploaded new images for both the BBB and Pi to:

http://dankulp.com/bbb/

These are based on the latest images from the respective organizations.   Thus, the 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite image for the Pi and the bone-debian-9.4-console-armhf-2018-06-17-1gb.img for the Beaglebones.   As such, they should be completely updated with all the latest kernels, libraries, security patches, etc...      They are also fully updated with the latest FPP code.    Thus, the initial update should be fairly quick.   Hopefully this resolves the problems on the Pi's with the config updates. 

That all said, this is the first time I've ever attempted an image for the Pi.   Thus, it might not be 100% correct.   

Dan Kulp

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 17
Re: New v2.0 images - 20180709
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »
Awesome!  Much needed and appreciated  :)

I loaded up the Pi image and it seems fine so far.   I haven't done any serious testing but it loads without errors and FPPD is still running  :D  Funny thing is the first thing I notices after booting it up and logging in is there is already another UPDATE available  :o  but its still faster, better, easier than starting with the 20180315 build  ;)
Code: [Select]
4d764533 Update install scripts and README's for latest changes
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:20:54 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
I just installed the 20180709 image onto a Pi3B+
Smooth install. I've been having unpredictable crashes when I enable the Falcon PiCap (when not installed, but still mounted, I don't get the crashes). Sometimes it will work for days, sometimes only for hours. Logs have not been helpful. I'll let it run with the newest image and see. Newer kernel, fewer updates.

It is a Remote, running 6 short sequences every other hour.

I have another Pi3B+ that does NOT have those problems but it does not have a PiCap on it. It is driving a ColorLight board and matrix nicely.

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
Just out of curiosity as I haven't seen Chris on here much recently.  Dan, are you the only one really doing development now?  I'm only asking as I'm curious, but do we think we'll realistically have a non-beta version of 2.0 ready in a couple months?  Seems like development, while it hasn't stalled, has slowed significantly as of late.  I don't have a lot of time to plan up front outside of sequencing and standard annual additions, so I'm trying to determine the path I'll go down for the future and whether I should be planning to use 1.9 for this upcoming season as this will determine which player I use and what my limitations will be...since 2.0 offered a few more options that 1.9 does not.  Thanks!

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »
Dan,

Would it be possible to make a BB image built on a BTFS formatted partition?   Id like to run it on some Pocket Beagles (your F8-PBs to be specific) and since they have no onboard flash to hold the OS, I dont know how else to create a BTFS formatted SD on a Pocket Beagle

My goal is to get BTFS compression for fseq files on my Pocket-Beagle controllers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:48:18 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 32
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
I do plan on creating a new BBB image in a few days.   I've been working with the BBB folks and have been able to cut about 45 seconds off the boot time.  Unfortunately, much of that is OS level changes so new image is needed.

For btrfs, there are a couple options:

1) Create a separate image for that.  That's a bit of work and a bit of a pain to maintain.   I'll definitely think about it.  Each image takes about 8-10 hours to create.   

2) Instead of expanding the root partition to cover the whole card, we could create a second btrfs partition for the media dir.   That would also be usable on the Pi's without separate images as well.  I need to think about this a bit more as well.   

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »
Sounds great!  I like the way you think  8)

Either method is fine with me.   I understand #1 might be OK one time but a pain in the long run.  #2 sounds like a nice option and even though I primarily wanted it for my PocketBeagles, it would be nice to see the same option common across all platforms.

If #2 gets implemented, would it be possible to have FPP also copy the config flies over to the new partition after its created.  That would save the multiple-reboot-and-reconfigure issues when currently switching over to a newly formatted external storage partition.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:47:41 AM by pixelpuppy »

Offline Jojoed

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:56:13 AM »
Gives dan a hot pocket and monster (you can do it) in my Adam Sandler voice lol
Keep up the good work my friend you guys are awesome 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk