Author Topic: V2.x - After reboot, Schedule starts and theres a lot of lag  (Read 294 times)

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
Hi guys, not sure if this is a bug or just because the Pi is running processes after the boot up but I noticed yesterday and tested a few times with the same result that if I have a schedule running sequences and I have to reboot the Pi, I hit reboot, it restarts fine and the schedule starts up again immediately but everything is way off on the first 2-3 minute sequence, the lights are a few seconds behind what they should be and my remotes to my matrixes are all over the place, one played the entire 3 minute sequence on my remote in 30 seconds and then it restarted that screen at the right location. the show runs off a Pi3B+ and my 2 remotes are Pi 3's all running the July 9th 2018 release (sorry not at home to get the exact build number

Just wanted to report it in case anyone has to reboot during a show if things are not running right

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 92
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: V2.x - After reboot, Schedule starts and theres a lot of lag
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »
On your Master's Multisync page, do you individually check each Remote or do you check the single "All Remotes" box at the top?

Offline brichi

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:51:01 AM »
On your Master's Multisync page, do you individually check each Remote or do you check the single "All Remotes" box at the top?

Hey Jon, they are individually checked being I have 4 IP addresses based on wired and wifi, I have just the wired IP addresses checked

Plus my F48 is delayed also fo a minute or so so its not just the remote Pi's

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »
Plus my F48 is delayed also for a minute or so so its not just the remote Pi's

But what is feeding your F48? One of the Remotes or the Master?

Try All Remotes and see if that changes anything. The way it works actually sends out less packet traffic than individual checks

Offline brichi

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:57:56 AM »

Plus my F48 is delayed also for a minute or so so its not just the remote Pi's

But what is feeding your F48? One of the Remotes or the Master?

Try All Remotes and see if that changes anything. The way it works actually sends out less packet traffic than individual checks

I have it setup like this

1st Pi3b+ - runs the schedule, the sequences and the F48 to all my Falcon receivers
2nd Pi3 - holds all my video files and sequences to trigger and play on my 1st 54 P10 panel
3rd Pi3 - holds all my video files and sequences to trigger and play on my 2nd 54 P10 panel

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
You mention Video Files on the remotes.

I've never found them to be necessary. My P10 panels only use FSEQ files

Offline brichi

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »

right but I have a lot of video clips in the sequence, if the actual MP4 is not on the Pi playing to the matrix then that video clip will not play when needed, only XLights effects will play

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:04 AM »

right but I have a lot of video clips in the sequence, if the actual MP4 is not on the Pi playing to the matrix then that video clip will not play when needed, only XLights effects will play

I have a lot of video clips, also. None are loaded on my Remotes. All the video data is compiled into the FSEQ at Save/Render time.

Try deleting just one of the video files and see what happens.

or - are you outputting video to a ColorLight or LINSN card from an HDMI port?

Offline brichi

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »

I have a lot of video clips, also. None are loaded on my Remotes. All the video data is compiled into the FSEQ at Save/Render time.

Try deleting just one of the video files and see what happens.

or - are you outputting video to a ColorLight or LINSN card from an HDMI port?

I will give it a shot tomorrow but I remember a few months ago the screen wouldn't play a clip because I forgot to upload it. I am having the remote Pi play the FSEQ and video files triggered from the master. the Remote pi is outputting to a coloright 75B

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
You can "rename" the video files so that they don't match anymore (Windows file manager access via the \\IP.Address) instead of deleting. FPP doesn't (yet) give you GUI capability to edit file names.

I'm thinking that your lag may be the Remotes trying to load and synchronize those (in my mind, unnecessary) MP4 files. FPP looks for MP4 files with "same names" and will try to load them along with the FSEQ files.

My setup with P10 panels (BBB/Octoscrollers and PI with Pi-Matrix and Pi3b+ to Colorlight) have never needed the MP4 files. (at least, I've never uploaded them and the sequences play the video data as shown in xLights)

You mention "...video files triggered from the master."  Is that just from a Video Effect dropped on the timeline? If so, the video file is only needed by xLights at time of Save/Compile, even when playing the FSEQ from within xLights. It only plays the FSEQ data.

If you are triggering the video files some other way, I'm curious about how.  The only people I know of actually playing MP4 files from a Remote are sending output to a projector via the HDMI port.

Offline brichi

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »

You mention "...video files triggered from the master."  Is that just from a Video Effect dropped on the timeline? If so, the video file is only needed by xLights at time of Save/Compile, even when playing the FSEQ from within xLights. It only plays the FSEQ data.

If you are triggering the video files some other way, I'm curious about how.  The only people I know of actually playing MP4 files from a Remote are sending output to a projector via the HDMI port.

I think I worded that wrong. the master Pi is starting my show laying the FSEQ file to the F48 and 2 Pi's for the 2 p10 screens. that is triggering the remote pi's to play the same exact FSEQ file loaded up on them also, not the video file"

I will test deleting the used video clip files from from the USB storage in the pi and see if they still play, I could've sworn though that if the video I used in the xlights sequence was also not in the video folder of the remote pi that the screen just remained blank at that quick clip that was supposed to play during the sequence

Offline brichi

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
You can "rename" the video files so that they don't match anymore (Windows file manager access via the \\IP.Address) instead of deleting. FPP doesn't (yet) give you GUI capability to edit file names.

I'm thinking that your lag may be the Remotes trying to load and synchronize those (in my mind, unnecessary) MP4 files. FPP looks for MP4 files with "same names" and will try to load them along with the FSEQ files.

My setup with P10 panels (BBB/Octoscrollers and PI with Pi-Matrix and Pi3b+ to Colorlight) have never needed the MP4 files. (at least, I've never uploaded them and the sequences play the video data as shown in xLights)

ok, finally got a around to some testing and this seems to be an issue once my main master Pi is connected to Wifi, when its off the wifi it all works fine

when on wifi (even though the remotes are not on wifi, they are all plugged into a router on a separate network) when I reboot everything is way off and the screen feezes and blows through the entire sequence in less then a minute as you can see in the video below also the multi sync info it WAY off by minutes again as you can see in my walkthrough video. I deleted ALL my video files from the video folder which is awesome, saved some room and tried to set multi sync to all remotes and individual and it didn't help at all,

here is the link to the video - https://youtu.be/iZmruC2oYJs

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »
Finally looked at your video when I wasn't just on my smartphone. I notice that when you connect to your Wifi, you don't remove the Gateway value from the eth0 settings. That always used to be a problem (can't say I've tested the new v2.0 versions for that).

Do you have the "Enable Routing between network interfaces" box at the very bottom checked?

Offline brichi

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Finally looked at your video when I wasn't just on my smartphone. I notice that when you connect to your Wifi, you don't remove the Gateway value from the eth0 settings. That always used to be a problem (can't say I've tested the new v2.0 versions for that).

Do you have the "Enable Routing between network interfaces" box at the very bottom checked?

I do not have that checked

I wifi I use DHCP so it should pick up a new gateway based on my wifi route which would be 192.168.1.1