Author Topic: v2.x (master branch) No FPP Time shown and FPPD status is constantly "stopped"  (Read 125 times)

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the FPPD will not start. I "restart FPPD" and it comes back with "Fppd restarted" but remains stopped. Also, I cannot get the time to display. I have tried manually setting the time, tried a few NTP servers and cannot seem to get the time to display at all. I am certain that I can get to the Internet being as I can see the Script Repository and can download plugins. What am I missing? I had set up many of these previously and cannot remember if I had to do anything special to get it to work.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 5
Have you tried Dan's latest images.  He included updates thru 612 in Pi version.  I had similar issue and feel it was caused by too many ipdated packing in at once.  ^12 to 613 is only one update.  Burn new image and update to 613.

Offline kennylights

I'm currently on version:

Version:
[/size][/color]

Offline Sawdust

But did you start at (last 3 digits) 315 or 709. 

Seems those that started at 315 may experience files not compiled during the mass update from v2-509 to v2-612.  613 & 614 are small and shouldnt be an issue

So if you started with image 315, try Dans 709
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9175.msg85338.html#msg85338

Offline kennylights

I started on 315. I'll try to use the 709. I'll hit back when I get that done.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the FPPD will not start. I "restart FPPD" and it comes back with "Fppd restarted" but remains stopped. Also, I cannot get the time to display. I have tried manually setting the time, tried a few NTP servers and cannot seem to get the time to display at all. I am certain that I can get to the Internet being as I can see the Script Repository and can download plugins. What am I missing? I had set up many of these previously and cannot remember if I had to do anything special to get it to work.

While I highly recommend starting with the freshest image listed on Dan Kulps post (20180709)

But, also try disabling any outputs you have (PiCap, PiMatrix, etc.), do a manual Update, and see if it will start. Awhile back, my enabled PiCap kept something from compiling properly. Once disabled, I did a manual update, even though it didn't say it was needed, then FPPD started after some time. Then it continued running after enabling the PiCap.

Offline Sawdust

Jon, an empty Pi (Zero, 2B 3 or 3B+) wit all inputs and outputs turned of also fails to compile properly for most every load.  And those that did, may stop and fail to start.  709 loads fine, and updates to 614 load fine....and so far, still running on 2 test devices.

Not sure it is worth trying to fix a previous load with 709.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline kennylights

To that note, this was a completley fresh install on a brand new PI 3 Model B+, so no outputs enabled or set up, no files on the USB...completely fresh. And that worked. Starting with 709 set me up prefectly. even updatede and all seems stable currently on Version: v2.x-master-614-g23c8f20d (master branch) and all is good. Wanting to start now to long term test this in the offseason. Will start using this for halloween and it will run from now until after christmas at least. I plan on keeping the older PI on V1.10 as a backup as well.

Thanks Guys!!

Offline Sawdust

Offline bpos

I would like to add to the equation. I have noticed while watching the boot sequence that if Connman has any interruption then this will set a fault for FPPD.

Also if you try and expand the micro SD that a lot of the time this will set a fault for FPPD as well.

Kind of like the Boot up is not happy with a lot of changes made that require a reboot?

So far I have been able to save a USB attached drive which houses all my information thus not needing many reboots. This lessens the chance of "stopped FPPD"

Most of this was observed on 0315 with updates to 612.

Dans latest version "0709" has shown to be more stable thus far. (I have not tried to expand/load straight off the SD card with latest version)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
My latest install of 20180709 on a Pi3b+, I did an Expand on a 32gb sd card. No problems (yet). Running a playlist as a Remote 8 times a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Sawdust

I would like to add to the equation. I have noticed while watching the boot sequence that if Connman has any interruption then this will set a fault for FPPD.

Also if you try and expand the micro SD that a lot of the time this will set a fault for FPPD as well.

Kind of like the Boot up is not happy with a lot of changes made that require a reboot?

So far I have been able to save a USB attached drive which houses all my information thus not needing many reboots. This lessens the chance of "stopped FPPD"

Dans latest version "0709" has shown to be more stable thus far. (I have not tried to expand/load straight off the SD card with latest version)

The problems with 20180315 is/are known issue.....that is why 20180709 was developed.  I have tested 20180709 with several loads, hours of sequence playing and on 5 different Pi's.  I think 20180315 should be considered retired and 20180709 the current image.

Updated to add correct references to IMAGE files....per PixelPuppy's post

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:50:19 PM by Sawdust »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 17

The problems with 315 is are known issue.....that is why 709 was developed.  I have tested 709 with several loads, hours of sequence playing and on 5 different Pi's.  I think 315 should be considered retired and 709 the current image.

I agree.  Anybody who's running FPP V2.x should re-image with the new 20180709 image builds.   But we should probably stop referring to the image builds in 3-digit terms ("315", "709", etc.) while also referring to the 3-digit update revisions ("575" "612", etc.).  "709" sounds like its newer than "614" but if you "load 709" and then update, you will be at "614".   That's too confusing.

The SD Image files are referenced by their build date as an 8-digit number... as in 20180315 (2018-Mar-15) and 20180709 (2018-Jul-09).  The 3-digit revision number is a sequential number that increments with each github update.

The 20180315 SD Image was built with FPP revision-575 (v2.x-master-575).  Its possible to load that image and update FPP to rev-614.  But if you do, you won't get the OS Kernel updates.
The 20180709 SD Image was built with FPP revision-612 (v2.x-master-612).  There have been two FPP updates since then (currently at rev-614 as of this posting). Using this SD image load will give you Kernel updates that you'd miss if load the older SD image and update to rev-614

When having problems, its not enough to say "I'm running the lastest version".  There is an FPP version, an OS Version, and a Kernel Version.  Its possible to be running the "latest" FPP version without running the most current Kernel version.
The best thing is to go to FPP->Help->About and post the FULL version info like this....

Version Info
FPP Version:v2.x-master-614-g23c8f20d
FPP OS Build:v2.0alpha
OS Version:Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:4.14.52-v7+
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:21:04 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else