Author Topic: Burn-in Testing for Pixel Strips  (Read 129 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
Burn-in Testing for Pixel Strips
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:55 AM »

I posted this question on another forum, but I thought I'd post here as well to get a few more opinions:

I've done burn-in testing for my pixels over the past few years with them still rubber-banded together keep things somewhat neat and tidy during the testing progress. They get warm, but I feel that there is plenty of air circulation so they don't get crazy hot.
This is my first year going into flex strips which come in reels. I imagine that I want them to get hot in order to stress test them in "extreme" situations to make any "weak" components fail on the test bench rather than in my display in December. Is there a concern about them getting too hot if I test them when wrapped on the reels? In addition, the silicone sleeves would trap extra heat too.P.S. Bonus question: I also noticed that the strips come in anti-static bags. What's the reason for this? I can understand needing to take anti-static precautions for bare electronic components or completed circuit boards, but if the strips are encased in a silicone sleeve, doesn't it act as an electrical insulator?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:45:18 AM by Gary »

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 4
Re: Burn-in Testing for Pixel Strips
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:34:48 AM »
This is just an opinion. I would probably loosen the light roll. That being said I don't do a burn in test just like I wouldn't do the same test for any other Xmas light types or lights in my house.  I understand that heating them up and letting them run is good and the weak circuit would likely fail more at higher temperatures.  But I don't see a benefit of letting them run for a lot of time to do that test because all that does is shorten the lifespan by that many hours. I do test the hard to reach lights for maybe an hour but after that it's overkill in my opinion. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 49
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
IMHO, todays lights are much higher quality lights than years ago when burn in testing was really needed.  I no longer do it and I cannot recall the last time I had an early  failure.  Not saying it cannot happen, just that it is much rarer today and in my opinion no longer needed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:05:36 PM »
I've had somewhat of a different experience than some others.
I used to do a simple test of all strings, strips, etc. and then put them on my props.
Of late, I have had to replace nodes on new props.  So, I've started the "burn in process" that others have been doing all along.
At least 8 hours, sometimes longer if it feels like I should.

There was a note that came on a few of my strips a while back that stated "do not run for long periods of time with the strips on the reel."  Also, some will test bullet nodes while still rubber banded together.  I usually will cut the rubber band and lay them out on my tile table while they are being tested.  Just my way of doing it.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
No burn in here either. Plug and play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B