Author Topic: Picap/renard noob question  (Read 66 times)

Offline Nikdyer

• Kudos: 0
Picap/renard noob question
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
Hi all, great informative forum! I searched and saw similar questions to mine but nothing quite spot on.

I intend to run a 10' 16 strand 180 degree 800 pixel mega tree with my picap and then output from picap to Renard Plus TR24 to run my deer and what not which are just standard led. Will the Picap be able to run an additional 800 pixels on my house? The distance is about 20 ft to first pixel. I understand I need power injection and all that but will the data be fine running that distance?

Also, do I absolutely need a USB drive or can I just put my displays on the sd card in my Pi? Sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks
Nick

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 17
Re: Picap/renard noob question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »
I intend to run a 10' 16 strand 180 degree 800 pixel mega tree with my picap and then output from picap to Renard Plus TR24 to run my deer and what not which are just standard led. Will the Picap be able to run an additional 800 pixels on my house?
The PiCap has two pixel string outputs that support 800 pixels each.  So yes, you can have two strings of 800 (one for your tree and the other for your house).  In addition to that is the RJ45 serial output which can be DMX, Renard, or LOR.  Should be fine for your "deer and what not".  ;)

The distance is about 20 ft to first pixel. I understand I need power injection and all that but will the data be fine running that distance?
The Falcon controllers can usually go 20 ft to FIRST pixel without problems.   But after that, the pixel-to-pixel and prop-to-prop distance is much shorter.  If you're planning to daisy-chain multiple props together on a single contoller output port then you'll probably want to pick up some handy-dandy Falcon F-amps https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=53&controller=product  so you can go more than 5-10 feet between props.

Also, do I absolutely need a USB drive or can I just put my displays on the sd card in my Pi? Sorry for the wall of text.
You can run FPP off the SD card alone.  However, if you are running FPP v1.x then you need a USB drive to complete the initial install.  After FPP v1.x is installed, you can go into setting and change the "External Storage" from USB to SD.  After that USB is not needed.   On the other had, if you are running FPP v2.x then USB drive is not needed at all. It defaults to using the SD as the External Storage.  You can still use a USB drive for storage if desired by going into FPP setting and changing External Storage from SD to USB.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Nikdyer

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the information. I will definitely purchase some f amps just to be safe.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
I would add the the Falcon Pi-Cap does not have the same "distance to first pixel" as the F16v2, v3 or F4v3. The Pi-Cap output will definitely need that F-Amp for that distance.

The reason has to do with the "output" chip. On the actual Falcon Controllers, it is MOSFET based and produces a very strong, clean data signal.

The Pi-Cap takes the 3.0v output from the Pi and buffers it up to the 5.0v expected for data, but it isn't the same output chip.

The F-Amp uses a similar chip (MOSFET) as the Falcon controllers. That is how it cleans and strengthens the Data signal enough to go extraordinary distances.