Author Topic: Strategies to Install Silicone-Sleeved Pixel Strips  (Read 215 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
Strategies to Install Silicone-Sleeved Pixel Strips
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:24:30 AM »
I'm planning on mounting pixel strips to the backs/bottoms of my gutters to light up my house to replace my on-ground floodlights which are a nuisance to keep clear when it's snowing.

The challenge seems to be to figure out how to mount them.

I don't want them to be permanently mounted because they will get slimy and dirty in our generally year-round wet climate, resulting in less light output. I don't want to install any sort of channel material to tuck the strips inside (http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm) either, because it will just get slimy too.

I can't use screws because, well, they're gutters.

I was considering using clear stick-on Velcro (clear makes it less visible in the off-season) every 4 to 8 inches, but besides being a bit tedious to install, the adhesive on the Velcro would likely not stick well to the pixel strips' silicone sleeve. To work around this, I suppose I could try to find some sort of adhesive designed to stick effectively to silicone. I was thinking that I could put clear heat shrink tubing every 4 to 8 inches on the pixel strips because the Velcro strips would likely stick better to heat shrink tubing rather than silicone, but that would be a nuisance to install every 4 to 8 inches over 150 linear feet.

Any ideas from our thinktank here?

Edit: I don't want to permanently mount the strips onto anything stiff like PVC pipe (that I would put up and down as one piece) either for several reasons that I don't want to go into detail here. Yes, I seem to be pretty picky with my "requirements". ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:28:00 AM by Gary »

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
Re: Strategies to Install Silicone-Sleeved Pixel Strips
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:50:25 AM »
There are some base and diffuser covers available.  One source (and not the only one, I'm sure) is Holiday Coro.  Take a look at http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm.  You could use some outdoor rated velcro to hold this up.

We use these in an Ice Cream Shop here and they work just fine. 
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
There are some base and diffuser covers available.  One source (and not the only one, I'm sure) is Holiday Coro.  Take a look at http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm.  You could use some outdoor rated velcro to hold this up.

I was hoping to avoid installing something else permanently that would get slimy/dirty if up rear-round (like my gutters do already).

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »
Why not use that removable tape they use to hold up those plastic hangers? "3M Command Strips"  I use it to hang the stockings on my marble fireplace, very sticky, and pulls right off after christmas. They make them in different widths. Just a thought.

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »

There are many suppliers of these aluminum channels and diffusers on Amazon, you can get them in various style like 45deg as well
search for Led strip diffuser.