Introducing the Starburst Hub system

Author Topic: Introducing the Starburst Hub system  (Read 480 times)

Offline lrhorer

• Kudos: -16
Re: Introducing the Starburst Hub system
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly that to use with 3 wire pixels all I would need is to have a single return wire going from the end of the spoke back to the hub?
   Correct, or wherever the last pixel resides.  For example, I have one set of displays (candy canes) where the last pixel physically sits right next to the first pixel.  I use a 4 wire waterproof connector, attaching three wires to one pixel, and one wire to the other.
What size input power wire will this except?
    The Main connector accepts 28-12AWG, and is rated for 15A continuous current.  For obvious reasons, I cannot recommend running at currents higher than that, but since 2 of the 4 connectors do not carry any significant current, and since the board substrate can readily carry away a lot of heat, I frequently push currents much higher than that, especially for short bursts.  Running 15A at 12V is 180 Watts.  I personally push up to 480 Watts in bursts.  Using 60ma pixels, that is 250 pixels at 15 A, or over 660 pixels at 480W / 40A.  Exceed 15A at your own risk.   The String connectors are rated at 8A or 133 pixels at 60ma each.  See above.  My Starbursts have 15 pixels per arm, but some of my displays have up to 288 pixels per string.

What amps is the board rated for?  I'm trying to figure out if this would be useful in any way for me.
   The board can carry much more current than the supplied Main connector can handle.  It should easily support more than 60A continuous current.  Although I know of a way to do it, I definitely do not recommend attempting to deliver continuous currents that high.  The current carrying capacity of 12AWG wire is 20A.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
Re: Introducing the Starburst Hub system
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
I was thinking it would be a natural to be in the commonly unused "clock" spot of those connectors.  In any case, this looks like a great idea.  Now, can I get everything I need and put together before next week? Hmmmm..... ???

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!