Author Topic: lights on all the time SOLVED!  (Read 529 times)

Offline tombmatt

• Kudos: 0
lights on all the time SOLVED!
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:33:53 PM »
have a string of ws2911 12v ribbon 300 pixels. if there is power to the board (f16v2) they are on white even if there is no signal being sent and if signal sent (test colors / wash / ramp) they still stay white. I know i have power ground and data wire correctly and my other string work properly. i am lost. any ideas of what i am missing???
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:03:40 PM by tombmatt »

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
Re: lights on all the time
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
What exactly do you mean by ribbon?  Are you referring to a flexible strip?  Are you connecting the second string to the same port on the f16v2?  If both strings are being connected to the same port on the f16v2 and one is working and the other is not, then that shows the issue is with the string.  If they are connected to different ports, swap the two strings and see of the issue moves with the string or remains on the same port.  If it is a string issue, then I would remove the first pixel and test the string again.  If you are using flexible strips, they also have cut points and I would remove the first section at the shown cut point and and retest again.  A bad controller chip in the first node could be sending noise down the line telling all of the other nodes to light up all channels which is white.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »
Prior posts were fixed by changing ends. Many pixels will go all white if you insert Data on the "Out" end.
Check that first.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
yes they are flexible strips. i hook them up one at a time . they burn white as soon as they are plugged in. No signal being sent. they burn white when plugged in form either end.

Online Ebuechner

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
So a couple of things, first double-check the markings on the ribbon to confirm that they are indeed 12 volts.
Second thing would be to apply power without data connected at all to see how they react, if they turn on white with nothing but Power then it's probably a bad strip.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
plugged both reels in seperately with data line not connected and they both light up all white. guess I will be talking with the seller

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
Perhaps time for a closeup picture of your strip, especially where the wires are soldered at the input

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »
Some strips are actually designed to do this.  They will light up all white is there is no data signal at all.  Connecting the data to the output side of the string acts like there is no data.  The issue Jon was talking about when he said that some users were getting all white when the data line is connected to the output side of the string and corrected when the data line was connected to the correct side. 

I would confirm this on the set that you said was working.  Connect it with no data line and see if it lights up white.  If so, then connect the data line and see if the strip follows the commands given to it like all off.  If so, then do the same tests with the other strip.  Make sure to test both ends of the strip for the data line.  If it stays all white. it could be that the first node group is defective and I would contact the seller at that point.

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
Here is picture of connectors used the connector that came on strips and pluged into f16. red +  white -  green data on strips on connector to board red + green data and blue -.tried conecting and disconnecting data wire -  made no difference lights always white once power is on. and have been talking to seller he say's its the controller so i ordered one of the controllers they sell then will get back with them when that doesn.t work.

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
By any chance do you have the controller in test lights mode

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
yes it is in rgbw mode that is the other lights going thru the test sequence that are red have first 8 slots on controller running with slot 8 being the strip that is white all others are red . . . strip stays white. they are all set as ws2811. using the web interface to set test mode

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
I bought some FLEX Strips that the seller was claiming that were WS2811, when I powered them up they all turned white when sending a signal to them they would act like a WS2811 Strings. I researched the chip that was installed on the FLEX strip and found that they were designed this way.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
This has been the experience of some who had the input and output from the strip mixed up.  Verify (on the strip, not with the type of plug) that you are indeed hooked to the "input" end.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Perhaps time for a closeup picture of your strip, especially where the wires are soldered at the input

Ok, your picture clearly shows the data going in at the correct end (arrow). I notice your first post said WS2911 ? Is that correct? 

On Aliexpress, I can find some listed as WS2911 but in their specs, they list WS2811 as the IC.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
Ok, your picture clearly shows the data going in at the correct end (arrow).

Lesson learned.  Don't look at the  picture only on a cell phone.