ÔĽŅ Why default route on WiFi?

Author Topic: Why default route on WiFi?  (Read 440 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
Re: Why default route on WiFi?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
What I don't get is why it needed to be changed I didn't have a problem with it the way it was at all, everything was running fine with the networking on 4 different pis.

The way it was working was that multiple "wired" interfaces would need to all be dhcp OR they would all get the same static IP address.

On a similar note: multiple wireless adapters would all end up connecting to the same wifi network.   The config didn't differentiate the configuration from interface to interface of the same type.  We have to wait for the interface MAC address to become available so we could associate the config with the correct interface.   That's what I'm attempting, but connman is apparently picking up a default config instead of the more specific one.   I pushed another change that I hope fixes that.
Dan Kulp

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
Crap.
After the update my pis are no longer communicating with xlights.
My eth0 has stopped working.
I wasn't having any problems until this update.

Every one I update it has the same problem.
I can't connect to the pi through the eth connection and under Network when I try to Ping the eth0 it fails

etho in static is no longer the "forced first" address. The IP defaults to the first open address on the router?
Not sure how to get a static address any longer?
What, are we all forced to run multicast?

Not sure what static IPís have to do with multicast in this context, unless itís a reciever and not a player.  You can run multicast with static or DHCP.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
Miller, thatís exactly it.  Particularly an issue if you must specify the destination IP address in the sending device.  As I said earlier, not an issue not b I get able to specify an IP address for my eth1 as it only connected to a ColorLight card, but the 169... address annoyed me.  However my eth0 address MUST be constant.  I can do that with a DHCP reservation in my router, but the static assigned for eth1 was also getting applied to eth0 - which caused a problem.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
Using LOR for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
Miller, thatís exactly it.  Particularly an issue if you must specify the destination IP address in the sending device.  As I said earlier, not an issue not b I get able to specify an IP address for my eth1 as it only connected to a ColorLight card, but the 169... address annoyed me.  However my eth0 address MUST be constant.  I can do that with a DHCP reservation in my router, but the static assigned for eth1 was also getting applied to eth0 - which caused a problem.

Got ya. Makes sense then.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
What I don't get is why it needed to be changed I didn't have a problem with it the way it was at all, everything was running fine with the networking on 4 different pis.

The way it was working was that multiple "wired" interfaces would need to all be dhcp OR they would all get the same static IP address.

On a similar note: multiple wireless adapters would all end up connecting to the same wifi network.   The config didn't differentiate the configuration from interface to interface of the same type.  We have to wait for the interface MAC address to become available so we could associate the config with the correct interface.   That's what I'm attempting, but connman is apparently picking up a default config instead of the more specific one.   I pushed another change that I hope fixes that.
Thanks Dan.
Up and running again.

Really does seem that connman has been a big pain in the butt since day one.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
I will try the latest update in an hour or two.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:40 PM »
Looks like it was working with:
Version: v2.x-master-650-gb13a0353 (master branch)  Host: FPP-2 (192.168.131.82 192.168.1.82 192.168.203.82)
I'll do more testing tomorrow.

Offline bpos

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
All working again v2.x-master-650-gb13a0353 (master branch) although I did have to re-img.  :(

FPPD has a bad habit of stopping after updates from time to time...

Update: This is one of those days where I should have left well enough alone. I gave my player a full workout in stand alone after 650 update and it stopped again.

I am reloading for a second time. Nothing has changed except the update.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:47:36 PM by bpos »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 06:26:08 AM »
This is one of those days where I should have left well enough alone. I gave my player a full workout in stand alone after 650 update and it stopped again.

After the reload, and FPPD is running, clear any log files and then enable any logging you might have disabled.
When (if?) if stops again, you should post your Zipped logs here to be looked at.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
Also, it seems like we lost the "My IP address..." text message on the console output somewhere along the way 
This problem still exists in -650.  I'm not sure when this changed, it may have been before -649 but I didn't notice until now.  I did notice that if eth0 has a static IP then that address is displayed on the console at the end of bootup.  If eth0 is DHCP then the address is not displayed on the console.  It doesn't seem to ever show the wlan0 address regardless of DHCP or Static.

If I boot up with Eth0 connected and then disconnect it after FPP is up and running, FPP still thinks its connected.  The Ip address and Ip routes via eth0 still remain (they should go away if the link is down)

This problem still exists in -650 too.  Its not a huge problem, but its a bit weird.  If the eth0 cable is not connected until after bootup, then it all works as expected (IP address and IP route will react to the link state of the eth0 phy).  If the eth0 cable is connected during bootup, then the IP address and IP route seem to completely ignore the link state.    This is not a show-stopper, but it is an indication that something weird is still going on with the network config.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else