v2.X - Master Pi skipping ahead of the remote pi's causing delay in remotes imag

Author Topic: v2.X - Master Pi skipping ahead of the remote pi's causing delay in remotes imag  (Read 439 times)

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 8
I would definitely reload with July's update.
I noticed a huge Improvement in performance alone from that image.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Having the most up to date "kernel" is what the 20180709 image gets you.

The updates may install, but if they are on the older kernel versions, it isn't fully updated.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35

is that with my stuff I sent you? I also added the m4a to the playlist to play along with it if that matters

only thing I haven't tried is reloading FPP from the July update with a fresh install but all my manual updates have been running fine except for this issue. my version says 644

Yes.  I tried a playlist that had various combinations of the m4a + fseq and things kept right in sync.  Had it running for a couple hours to double check.

Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1

is that with my stuff I sent you? I also added the m4a to the playlist to play along with it if that matters

only thing I haven't tried is reloading FPP from the July update with a fresh install but all my manual updates have been running fine except for this issue. my version says 644

Yes.  I tried a playlist that had various combinations of the m4a + fseq and things kept right in sync.  Had it running for a couple hours to double check.

ok, ill try reloading the new image onto all the pi's tonight and testing

Offline brichi

quick update

I wiped all 3 cards and installed the latest July Pi update, rebooted so the flash drive was storage and my static IP's were good, did a manual update to
Version:

v2.x-master-649-g37ba71fc and not my static IP addresses no longer work. the network area shows my static of 192.168.219.205 but I can only access it at 192.168.219.6 like the monitor shows on boot after the update

Also I can still reproduce the lagging as you can see in the pic - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PMJsFRhPI8DYCqePBrkXRvRltQHCCRzO/view?usp=sharing

this shot shows another pi's manual address but up top its only letting me connect at the DHCP it gave - [size=78%]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gMKxmJZ8ft1qjG-GnpudfBxR1-ReCC70/view?usp=sharing[/size]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:08:36 PM by brichi »

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 8

quick update

I wiped all 3 cards and installed the latest July Pi update, rebooted so the flash drive was storage and my static IP's were good, did a manual update to Version: v2.x-master-612-g78e44ade (master branch)  and not my static IP addresses no longer work. the network area shows my static of 192.168.219.205 but I can only access it at 192.168.219.6 like the monitor shows on boot after the update

Also I can still reproduce the lagging as you can see in the pic - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PMJsFRhPI8DYCqePBrkXRvRltQHCCRzO/view?usp=sharing

this shot shows another pi's manual address but up top its only letting me connect at the DHCP it gave - [size=78%]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gMKxmJZ8ft1qjG-GnpudfBxR1-ReCC70/view?usp=sharing[/size]
Yeah, the last update seems to have screwed the static IPS.
I'm having the same problems now.

Offline brichi

ok good (in a way) glad its just not me, lol

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
but, 3 of 8 FPPs I have running are Static IP, updated to 649, and they maintained their IPs.

I did have some problems with 648, but 649 seemed to bring it back in line

Offline brichi

mine were good on 649 till I did the manual update to

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 19
Interesting mix of comments.   I was running great at 648 now having assorted weird little network problems with 649  :(
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline dkulp

• Developer
Can you guys try an update an see if it helps?   connman is very annoying.  :(

Offline brichi

Can you guys try an update an see if it helps?   connman is very annoying.  :(

worked for me Dan, thanks!

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Dan, I just updated one of pi from my cellphone looks back and working with default static IP now. Thanks for the overtime ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jerry Plak

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
Do not have static IPs up now, but Elapsed Time displaying is not syncing over wifi.  Some lag, but that is the wifi portion...everything within a second, and the lights are sync'd

Offline dkulp

• Developer

While I still haven't been able to reproduce the skipping/out-of-sync issues, I *may* have fixed it or at least helped.   At about 5:35 with the number of channels you have is exactly when we jump over the 2G mark in the fseq file.   Thus, my gut feeling is that there is a signed 32bit int causing an issue someplace.   I started digging through things and discovered the fadvise stuff Chris added a while ago wasn't done fully/correctly.  I fixed that and then also added some fadvise things to have Linux pre-load the next 20 frames or so.     This should have a HUGE impact on performance, particularly on the BBB's.   

With the previous code, the "read next frame" segment for your sequence was taking 10-12ms.  With 25ms per frame, that's almost half the time we have.   The new code now takes about 0.5ms on the Pi3B+ and 1.4ms on the BBB.      Caveat:  that is with the fseq stored on the ext4 filesystem on the SD card.     If using an external USB drive with a FAT filesystem, I don't know what impact that might have.   You don't mention where your sequence is stored.   If it's on a FAT drive, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2GB location starts triggering something strange.  That filesystem was never designed for gigantic files so it was kind of hacked on.